Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM / eSIM - 5G / 4G+ (Galaxy S21 5G)

SoufferTheCat
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,
I've been having the occasional issue with my S21 5G losing connection to the mobile network. I've seen similar on work phones in the past and a replacement SIM has often fixed the issue.
Rather than calling up, paying £1.50 and waiting for a new SIM I decided to install an eSIM over the weekend.

All appears to have gone OK. The eSIM is now provisioned with  my number and the physical SIM is now "Not Provisioned".
Rolled into work this morning where I usually have 2-bars of 5G - instead I have 2-bars of 4G+. Asked a work colleague who is also on EE and they still have a 5G signal.
I've not had the opportunity to go off and roam around today, so it could be my local mast.
There isn't any reason why moving from a Physical SIM to an eSIM would suddenly see my device unable to make 5G connections, instead only getting 4G+ ? 

3 REPLIES 3
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @SoufferTheCat 

Thanks for coming here. 

Changing the type of SIM or getting a replacement should not have impacted the signal for you. Have you restarted the device to see if this helps? 

Leanne 🙂

Hi - I have, rebooted a couple of times and still the same result.

I've checked under "Mobile Networks" and it is set to 5G/LTE/3G/2G (auto) - just does not want to change up from 4G+ despite the signal appearing to be there.
Is it possible the eSIM has been provisioned as a 4G SIM and not 5G? Is this something I'll need to contact EE directly about?

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

If you call us on 150 @SoufferTheCat, the team will certainly get this looked into for you. 

Thanks.

Leanne.