cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why no internet connection when 4G is shown?

ASJ2
Visitor

I have same issue and so do most other EE users I know at our location. We have a caravan in West wales there is an issue with the mobile network. It nearly always shows full bars of 4G but there is just no data. In the case of our caravan site if it's quiet in the winter it works fine, as soon as it's busy - no mobile data.

I can understand the network being busy but surely if EE are allowing the phone to show 4G we should be able to access the internet? My work mobile is vodafone - that has very poor signal at the same location. However in busy times when I get 1 bar of signal I still get internet. Does EE have a maximum number of devices that can access each cell tower? If so they should not be allowed to have the phone show that it's got a 4G connection when it actually doesn't have any. This is not a one off it's been happening for a couple of years 

2 REPLIES 2
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @ASJ2 

I've moved your post to a new thread. You have perfectly described what sounds like a capacity issue, which unfortunately is not always resolved quickly.

Just out of interest, where is this caravan park? Feel free to be as vague or exact as you're comfortable on a public internet forum, or PM if you'd prefer.

@ASJ2 wrote:

Does EE have a maximum number of devices that can access each cell tower? If so they should not be allowed to have the phone show that it's got a 4G connection when it actually doesn't have any. This is not a one off it's been happening for a couple of years 

EE don't impose any hard limits, but all network equipment will have a finite amount of capacity available - and once those limits are reached, then any devices attached to the site will behave as yours are. Capacity management is a very complex area.

Your phone is still connected to the network and you should be able to make & receive calls irrespective of slow data speeds.

Is there an acknowledged issue, if you check the area on the coverage tool and select "check status" for faults & issues?

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @ASJ2 ,

Your expectation that when 4G cellular data is indicated, some manner of data transfer should be possible is correct, even if it is as terrible as 1 kbps.

Does the issue clear if you just reset the radio by turning on airplane mode for a few seconds and then turning it off again?

The first thing to check is that your mobile receives an IP address as shown in your settings.

When you visit a website, what error is shown to indicated you either cannot reach it or it cannot display?

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net