cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unlimited data hotspotting

troyounce
Investigator
Investigator

This is not what I've been told yesterday by customer services.

It was a very unpleasant surprise to hear that 100GB is considered to be the cap for hotspotting, since it is a form of gifting.

In the terms and conditions no explicit distinction is made between gifting and hotspotting, so this makes it all a very grey area.

I don't understand why there is no clear and explicit information on this on any of EE's webpages including the T&C.

I will give the clear answer you gave a thumbs up if you can confirm the CS team gave me adviced me wrongly on this occasion.

8 REPLIES 8
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @troyounce,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

As mentioned earlier in this conversation, sharing your data connection with other devices via a hotspot, isn't data gifting and isn't subject to the 100GB limit.

James

troyounce
Investigator
Investigator

That's a good question. The issue is not clear. I was told by customer service that hotspotting is considered to be a form of gifting and that as a consequence it has a usage cap of 100gb.
No EE documentation makes a clear distinction between gifting and hotspotting.
It is only after some research on the EE community that I saw explicit statements to the contrary (including this answer). Some state hotspotting can continue up to 1000gb after the gifting has run out. Can you please confirm this?
EE should provide much more clarity on this issue and not leave people chasing for answers on the community forum.

James_B

Hi @troyounce,

I've replied to your other post.

Thanks

James

Hi James,

Thanks for your welcome and your confirmation that hotspotting is possible up to 1000GB. This would make me a happy customer!

However, I had a discussion with customer service just now. They maintained that hotspotting is considered to be "like gifting" (I quote) and that, as a consequence, it has a usage cap of 100gb. Mentioning the statements to the contrary from this platform did not make any difference.
I have raised a complaint about this, and in order to be able to speak to management I have to call back with my complaint number. 

This starts to sound like a crusade for what should be a straightforward customer right.

In a perfect world I would give you a thumbs up for your clear answer, but the discrepancy between your statement and what CS maintains calls for concerted action.

Again, the status of hotspotting as unrelated to gifting should have been made clear by EE from the start.

It is not right that CS equates hotspotting with gifting, which is clearly wrong according to their own definition of gifting, and then bump me off into a personal complaints procedure.

It is only fair that EE customers get clarity on this and a confirmation of the deal they are entitled to, which they commit to on the basis of the information available from EE and the community forum.

James_B

Hi @troyounce,

I'm sorry to hear you weren't given the correct information when calling Customer Care.

The only point that I think could be causing the confusion is that with unlimited plans, you can only gift from the first 100GB of data used. This includes any data usage, including using your hotspot. 

James

@troyounce : I think you'll find that the FUP for unlimited plans is now 600GB pm, not 1000GB.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi @James_B 

Thanks for your reassuring message.

I trust you are in the position to speak for all EE when you guarantee hotspotting functionality beyond 100gb.

I find it hard to ascribe this uncertainty caused by customer service to any confusion.

I explicitly asked them if I would be able to keep hotspotting after using up 100gb of giftable data that come with my unlimited package, and all three customer service persons I have spoken to so far said no.

Now I'm in a complaint procedure, is there any clearer question I can ask?Obviously, this question did not confuse any EE community support member on this platform when it was asked in various ways by other customers.

I would also appreciate any feedback from other customers who went beyond the 100gb limit and are still happily hotspotting.

If I had the luxury of having enough cooling off period left to see what happens when I go over the limit (am on 85% now), I would hang around for the proof in the pudding. I need to be absolutely certain and hope you understand that.

Thanks!

James_B

Hi @troyounce,

Yes, I can confirm the 100GB data gifting limit does not apply to using your phone's hotspot.

James