cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No mobile data on Samsung Note 8 after porting from BT Mobile.

jin_dru
Investigator
Investigator

We moved from BT Mobile to EE last week but have not had mobile data since. Wi-fi fine but no mobile data. there is no 4g symbol at the top of our phones (both Note 8s)

We called tech help 3 times now and nothing has solved the problem. 

Configuration messages sent....no joy

Refresh sent from their end...no joy

new sims sent....no joy

last suggestion was to factory reset our phones....a total madness idea...but tried it.....no joy....now we are spending hours getting the phones back to they way we like them and waiting on samsung smart switch to update all our settings. 

what is the strangest thing.....the SIMS work fine for mobile data on my sons mobile?  how is this even possible. My sons SIM works fine on our Note 8 also. 

Is there compatibility issues with the EE sim and the Note 8? Some tech people are saying it was because we were sent a 5G sim by default and the Note 8 is not 5G compatible. Surly it would drop to 4G when no 5G available? 

11 REPLIES 11
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@jin_dru  have you changed the APN settings on the device ?  

Have a look at THIS 

Schockwave
Community Hero
Community Hero

@jin_dru , Your 5G SIM card will work with 4G, this would have nothing to do with it. Everyone now receives the 5G SIM card.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.

The problem we have is that the Samsung note 8 does not support 5G SIM CARDS (confirmed by tech help and our own testing)

Our next solution is to try an EE shop to see if they have 4G sim cards "in the back" and then try to SIM swap onto that Sim NUMBER. 

If that doesnt work.....giving up and moving back to BT. 

I seen this APN post previously and our settings are the same. 

What i didnt say in the original post is that there is no "4G" symbol on the with the UP and DOWN arrow on the phones. The phone will not recognise the SIM at all. Works fine in MY samsung A20e but the NOTE 8 is ancient 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @jin_dru

Thanks for coming back to us. 

Let us know how you get on after visiting the EE Store. 

Leanne. 

@jin_dru wrote:

The problem we have is that the Samsung note 8 does not support 5G SIM CARDS (confirmed by tech help and our own testing)

Our next solution is to try an EE shop to see if they have 4G sim cards "in the back" and then try to SIM swap onto that Sim NUMBER. 

There's no such thing as a "4G SIM" or a "5G SIM", there's an EE-SIM.

All EE SIMs are capable of working on all radio technologies, from 2G through to 5G.

It's your plan, and associated account settings, that enable 5G-access.

I beg to differ Bristolian. It has been confirmed by EE tech level 2 that the new EE-SIM cards that they now send out will not work on some models of phones. The Galaxy Note 8 is one of them. 

Still waiting on a call back from a level 3 from a phone call on Thursday the 11th of August. 

Getting a bit ridiculous now. So much so we are looking at buying new phones. 

Sorry Leanne. Not had a chance to check the community in a while. EE shop said that the sim cards work in ALL phones so there shouldn't be any problems. He said there was nothing he can do for us and suggested we call tech help AGAIN. 

We have been promised a call back from a level 3 tech on Thursday the 11th of Aug where we have been promised that "these guys can fix it". We have cancelled the direct debit and sent an email to cancel the contract on Sunday the 14th. We have received a phone call from EE twice but missed them both. Hopefully they will try to call again this weekend. 

Its getting a bit ridiculous now. We know its not your SIM as it works in my sons phone with no issues but its the compatibility of OUR note 8s and your SIM which wont work. We are considering buying newer phones but thats a massive expense including new covers and screen protectors etc. 

Account number xxxxxxxxxxxx

[Mod edit: Please do not share personal details as your posts are visible to the public. Thanks!]

@jin_dru , please do not put personal details here, this is a public forum.

You should not cancel your direct debit, you will have to ring customer service to cancel contract, but they may charge you for the rest of your contract -20% of whatever is left to pay, it could also damage your credit rating. 

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.