cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g is so slow its unusable but I cant turn it off

Renoir64
Investigator
Investigator

Where I live we were one of the earlier places to adopt 5g.

Over the last few months it's got slower and slower until it reality it's unusable. I really want to go back to 4g but I can't as my phone is pretty much stock android and the SIM configuration wont allow me to do this.

I now cant use data in the bottom half of my own garden. I've spoke with Motorola who make my handset and EE and they can suggest nothing. I went to Manchester at the weekend and 5g was great but moving there seems a little bit radical just to have data on my phone. I've tried the settings buried in the SIM but configuring from here is hard too. 

So a) is the slowing down of 5g happening to others

and b) any ideas to go back to 4g without the obvious getting another handset (it may come to this or another provider)

20 REPLIES 20
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @Renoir64

What is the make and model of your phone?

Have you checked for any problems within your area using the Network Status Checker?

Speak soon,

Katie

Renoir64
Investigator
Investigator

I've checked this and it says we have 5g outside but that doesn't help me. 

I know it connects to 5g that's the problem. The speeds are awful. Much slower than 4g

Motorola Moto g82 5g is the phone

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for getting back to me @Renoir64

Does it show good coverage indoors and outdoors on the checker?

Should you prefer, you change between 4G and 5G by following these steps:

• Swipe up.
  • Scroll to and select Settings.
  • Select Network & Internet.
  • Select Mobile network.
  • Scroll to and select Preferred network type.
  • Select your preferred option.

Katie

Those options aren't there because the OS is almost stock android. It merely says auto or not on mobile network.

I believe that pixel owners have had similar issues which is linked to restrictions on the EE sims.

What @Katie_B has suggested should work under the "Preferred network type"

If its saying Auto, my guess is that you are looking at the "Select / Choose Network" rather than the "Network Type" which is a different setting.

Unfortunately that's not there either.

This is everything. 

Screenshot_20230128-164332-014.png

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Your next steps may be to try SIM-swapping between phones belonging to friends & relatives, to see if this is consistent.

Tried that. The settings ARE there with Vodafone but not with ee. 

Is this phone model a Dual SIM?