Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G wired tether latency, packet loss, instability

SMania
Investigator
Investigator

Hi there,

I use my 100gb data plan to tether to my PC for gaming and work over Zoom. The connection regularly spikes to ping over 100 (several times a minute) from around 20-30. This is not specific to any app I am using as I can monitor the lag spikes in pingplotter. It is also not tied to busy times of day as it is happening currently at 1am, and I am not even down/uploading anything. This makes it impossible to use for gaming or video calling, which I have to do for work currently.

Equally bad but not so annoying is that my download speed fluctuates between 1-3mb on full signal 4g.

I have spoken to the chat support but there is no regularity as after each contact with them you start fresh with a new advisor. They have "reset" my connection which made no difference.

I have also ensured:

-nothing is downloading or uploading in background of the phone or PC

-I am always wired

-I have tried resetting network settings 

-phone is not in low power mode

-connection is not metred

I am told there is no customer support email so this is my last attempt to get this resolved before I leave EE after 15 years on contract. I can get the same package for less than half the price elsewhere, but have remained on EE assuming it would represent good stability and helpful customer support.

Any help or suggestions are really appreciated before I pull the plug.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
FIZZYLP
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello @SMania 

Just to confirm this using your mobile hotspot or 4G mobile broadband?

Hope this helps!  If you like my reply and want to say thanks for the helpful answer then please click on the Kudos on left hand side  also if I answers your question correctly please let us know by clicking on Mark as Accepted Solution 

Hey there thanks for the reply

I am using my mobile phone contract 4g data, tethered to my PC via USB cable from my iphone

Hey @FIZZLP or anyone else .. have attached a screenshot of my connection as it is performing right now ... its been like this all evening and is pretty much the same every evening. this is while my desktop is idle (nothing open except pingplotter). you can see that every few minutes there is terrible packet loss (the connection more or less drops for a few seconds). This behaviour is reproducible when I tether the phone to another PC as well

If anyone from EE sees this please note that I am pretty much ready to terminate my contract and move to another provider if this isn't resolved

07-010-24 00.00 connection.png

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @SMania,

What does the coverage checker report for your location?

James

Hi @James_B

good catch.. ! it says: 

"We are aware of a problem with this site, but do not have an estimated time to fix it just yet."

Sounds like there is essentially nothing I can do about it, and it could be ongoing for any amount of time - its already been like this for ages. Think I am ready to move to another provider at this point!

Matt

Edit: a bit more googling and I found the following about my area (Walthamstow in London): 

"Our engineers have been working with the council to start building the equipment needed for the new mast. Unfortunately, the council have stopped the build from starting until all roof work has been completed, which is expected to be by the end of February. Our engineers are in legal negotiations to start building the equipment before the roof work is completed as previously approved. We will keep you updated on this post."

The thread here makes it clear there have been problems for over a year, and yet EE continue to charge full price...

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @SMania 

I'm sorry to hear that there's a problem in your area. If you would like to discuss the issue or your plan, I'd recommend speaking to our technical support team so that they can take a look at it for you.

Chris

Hey @Christopher_G

Thanks for your response - I don't see how they would be able to do anything for me as sounds like they need to install/repair something? I've had nothing but frustration with EE for the last few years, so to not even be contacted about this or offered any compensation for the service (which is not working as it should be) is the last straw I think, time to move to another provider.

Thanks for your help anyway

Matt