Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE 5G Connection sporadic | Device: HUAWEI H112

Tysall
Investigator
Investigator

Issue

I’ve been with EE (Mobile 5G) since May 2021, my connection has always been… sporadic, often it will drop to 4G. And it won’t return to 5G without a soft/hard reboot. 

But this is something entirely new; the connection over the weekend has begun constantly fluctuating between Moderate to Weak (Yellow light to Red light - HUAWEI H112-372). Only at one point, on Saturday evening for a few hours, did it go into the Green.

It’s currently stabilised at Moderate, here are some back-to-back results I’m getting… all very similar.

Test A

RSRQ: -16.0dB

RSRP: -111dBm

RSSI: -77dBm

SINR: -14dB

Test B

RSRQ: -17.0dB

RSRP: -112dBm

RSSI: -77dBm

SINR: -13dB

Please note…

1. I haven’t moved it’s location
  2. I’ve checked service coverage: no issues in BS2
  3. I’ve whitelisted/blocked devices on the network (10-15 devices - all worked fine in the past)
  4. Updated this w/e to Apple Sonoma OS
  5. Uninstalled/reinstalled bandwidth-hungry apps - Slack, Discord and WhatsApp - to check for an improvement
  6. Turned on my OS Firewall. Assigned access privileges to trusted apps only
  7. The router software is all up to date
  8. NOT done a Factory Reset on the HUAWEI H112

I don’t fancy sitting and listening to an EE Call Centre script, so this hive mind will hopefully elicit a solution. Maybe the router is just old and tired… and in that case, I sympathise with it.

Need any other salient details from me just ask…

Cheers!

8 REPLIES 8
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Tysall,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Did you report the problem via the Network Status Checker?

James

bristolian
Legend
Legend

What EARFCN are you connecting to?

Connecting to a carrier that has a perceivably weaker RX level could be normal behaviour if that band has been set at a higher priority than others.

Band reselection behaviour has certainly changed recently.

I have. C&P the above message.

Got to the Contact details: all accepted as good. Hit Send. Then get the following…

"Sorry, something went wrong We are unable to submit the form. Please try again later."

Have done this x3 now

I have no idea what any of this means, unfortunately. Cheers.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

4G & 5G services are provided across multiple frequency bands, each with different characteristics. In simple terms, there are higher-capacity layers which provide for better speeds, alongside coverage layers which extend further but will struggle to match the data speeds. This is why it's often perfectly normal for onscreen signal bars to vary while a phone is static, while it jumps between the different layers.

You've posted some basic diagnostic data above, but without reference to these bands & carrier data (EARFCN), these are just a numerical representation of the signal bars. It's the additional data that would likely explain why the device is behaving as it is.

Tysall
Investigator
Investigator

Are you asking me if I’ve changed Channels?

I have not.

In fact, as per my OP, the only change to anything I’ve made over the w/e was to update to the new Mac OS (not saying that’s the culprit, my issues could be purely coincident with this).

Do you reckon I should move to another channel (not entirely sure how I do that, but I'm sure Google can help).

[Attached images - which may not show until Admin approval]

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 09.54.13_blur.pngScreenshot 2023-10-03 at 09.55.23.png

Managed to get a message through to the EE team.

Turns out the Additional Information field has a character count lock - not detailed at that point, bad UI/UX. So I just had to keep shortening my info till it stuck.

@Tysall wrote:

Are you asking me if I’ve changed Channels?

No. You're thinking of the wireless connection between the router and end device.

I'm describing some of the dynamics between the modem and mobile network that could impact on your issues.