cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G EE mobile WiFi losing power

Hilaryw
Explorer

As per subject, I have a 5g mobile WiFi router for use when at our static caravan. It generally works fine, however on occasion it will start to lose charge in the evening, even when plugged in to power. Have had several instances of waking up in the morning to find the box is off and when turned on it has zero charge, like it has run down overnight and not even been taking charge when it was off.  

this behaviour seems to correlate with times when there are a lot of other users in the area (bank holiday weekend, lots of holidaymakers) and the signal is at one or two bars. I’ve tried different chargers, and it happens with both the ee supplied charger and others that are reliable. 

I can’t work out whether this is a fault with the router and its power management, or poor product design and it can’t cope with the circumstances in which I’m trying to use it and it draws too much charge in times of weaker signal and/or competition for bandwidth with other users at the mast. Has anyone any ideas before I try contacting ee ?

2 REPLIES 2
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Hilaryw 

When a device loses connection to the network often, it will use more battery in the search for a network connection, so that could explain why it's losing charge.

I don't think it should lost power when connected to a good power source. It may be worth having a chat with our technical support team.

Chris

Hilaryw
Explorer

Thanks @Christopher_G   I know with my phone that in areas of poor signal it will get hot and lose battery charge much quicker than in areas of good signal, so I did wonder if there’s an element of that going on. But I do agree that losing power entirely even when attached to a good power source is a sign something isn’t right.