Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ee lost my number!

tdunnett09
Investigator
Investigator

Hi all!

In a recent error, ee failed in migrating me wife's number onto a new sim I had added to my account. The result was my number being wiped. I have been waiting nearly 3 weeks so far, and there is still no news as to whether my original number is retrievable! 

2 scenarios are possible. Either they find my number, or it is lost. 

If my number is lost, what kind of compensation do you think is warranted?

I'd like to add that I am a small self employed business and will certainly have lost work due to being uncontactable over this time.

Any thoughts, contractual etc all welcome!

Thanks 

8 REPLIES 8
Northerner
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Hi @tdunnett09 

There is no account access on these forums. 

You can complain here;

https://ee.co.uk/contact-ee/complaint

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

Hi @Northerner ,

Understood. I was hoping to come here for people's opinions, rather than official ee correspondence! Is this the wrong place? haha

Thanks

Then wait for people's opinions to roll in or not as they may.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
lubyben
Investigator
Investigator

Hi - I have the exact same issue except I am Wife and it was Husband's number that wiped out mine (been without it for 2 weeks so far with no update except "they are working on it"). I also run my own small business.

Did they ever retrive your number?
If so how long did it take?

I am also thinking of making a claim for wasted time, stress, possible lost business etc as I feel they are liable for something 

Hi

It took approximately 6 weeks to get my mumber back..

Unfortunately, they aren't liable for any loss of Business. I tried this, but it's pretty straight in the contract it turns out!

I did fight for compensation though. It took a lot phone calls. Be careful to take note of who you talked to and what they actually say/promise, as most had no idea what they were doing.

In the end I tried to ask for what they call a "gesture of goodwill" (usually £20 on your account) for everyday I was out of action. 

They didn't go for this of course, but we settled on around £160 on the account along with some generous offerings regarding my tariff.

Hope this is of use!

Hi, thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Yes, very useful.

I'm glad you got your number back, it gives me some hope, however the though of another 4 weeks or so before they retrive mine isn't good. I wish they would just say that though so I can plan (eg I shall now email all my clients to let them know an alternate way to get in touch.)

I will push for compensation once it's resolved, I don't think £160 really even covers the time wasted by this but it's better than nothing I guess. I'd actually just negotiated a pretty good deal on tariff and ordered 2 new phones - that's what started all this - them porting hubby's number over to the wrong SIM!

Agreed, £160 wasn't close to covering time and stress. 

This is a user error, I was lied to and told it was a computer fault. Worth baring in mind when negotiating compensation. 

My watsapp still worked on my old number while it was lost - this was a relief.

Unfortunately, you'll hit a ceiling with what you can complain about. As I said, the business loss is not something they'll help with unfortunately. It ends up basically being about customer service. I'd advise pushing really hard until you reach a point where you'll be making a big formal complaint (This had a name, but I can't remember what it was!), as this was described to me as "going nuclear" for something "relatively" small and all previous offers dissapear with the possibilty you'll get nothing. Up to that point, demand the most you can. The two things they are actually able to do seem to be: Put money on your account. And make pretty hefty adjustments to your tariffs. Make sure you've fought to talk to the highest person you can!

Good luck!

Hi - an update as it may be of interest to anyone else who has this issue and finds this thread.

I got my number back yesterday! So 17 days for me.
I found out that due to a further error in EE my number was taken by BT for an internet device even though numbers are supposed to be quarantined for 30 days at least. EE got it back from BT yesterday and it was back on my SIM later that day.

I think I still have a few billing / tarrif issues to resolve (so if it does happen to you note EE also need to reset the financial side as the number vanishing is treated as a contract ternimantion) but at least I can make and receive calls. 
I'm also going to push for some compensation.