Fraud

Agnieszka79
Investigator
Investigator

Beware of fraudulent upgrades with EE

On 27/10/23 I called EE to cancel a contract for my phone ending 4373 from my number ending 5707 (both EE lines). At 19:46 on the same date a call was placed to EE from a different number cancelling this request and ordering an upgrade which should have been a red flag to a well trained operator. Furthermore, at 20:07 I received a call to phone ending 5707 claiming there were calling in connection to my request to cancel my contract which coincides with the time the fraudulent upgrade was being processed and an OTP used to pass security. This leads me to believe that my details were leaked by a staff member inside EE who is fully aware of their internal security processes and is able to identify customer targets for these scams. It is the role of the company EE to recognise unusual requests and listen to customers when they complain and allege that they did not sign a contract. EE then sent an Iphone to my address which I returned the following day to address / label provided to me by EE What'sUp , apparently fraudulent again, as EE claims they never received it.  After my complaint, there was no investigation to find out what actually happened and this has resulted in the debacle that has ensued which has now ended in my details being passed to a debt collection agency.

I feel that EE did not investigate my complaint thoroughly enough to establish what I had stated which was that I did not place an order for an upgrade on the same day as a genuine cancellation request. I assume their calls are recorded for training and compliance purposes and these two calls placed on the same day asking for conflicting requests could be listened to which would prove I was in fact a victim and not a perpetrator of fraud. Also the fact I immediately asked for the number to be blacklisted means the upgraded phone is of no use to anyone so why have my details been passed to bailiffs to collect for a service which EE have themselves blocked at my request? 

Complaints Department refused to acknowledge fraud and referred my details to debt collectors. So, I have no phone, no contract and am being expected to pay £1,776 only because EE upgraded a contract in my name following a fraudulent call. 

6 REPLIES 6
Chris_B
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@Agnieszka79    EE wouldn’t send you a message via what’s app for a return address.   That was the scammer who sent you this.   You sent the device directly to the scammer not EE.     You should have called EE on 150 from one of your devices and told them you didn’t want the device.  They would have sent you a returns package for you to send the device back in.    

the bailiffs are involved regards of you asking for the device to be blacklisted as it is believed that you have the device even though it’s blacklisted and are not paying for it .  

you might of cancelled but you can also have a change of mind so your proof of the 2 conflicts of termination and taking out a upgrade  are not proof to back up your claim.  

“Complaints Department refused to acknowledge fraud and referred my details to debt collectors. So, I have no phone, no contract and am being expected to pay £1,776 only because EE upgraded a contract in my name following a fraudulent call.”     
 Which then you posted the device to the scammer because you got a message on what’s app with a return address instead of calling customer service to get the device returned in the proper channels.    

While I do feel for you you should have done your due diligence on how to return an unwanted product.    What’s app isn’t an official way for EE to communicate with its customers.   

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @Agnieszka79

Thanks for coming here. 

@Chris_B is right, WhatsApp is not a way of contact from EE. 

When you have a moment if you could please send me a private message with the returns address provided and the number which contacted you, I will do all I can to look into this further. 

Katie

Hi Katie,

the problem is that the person who called knew about my cancellation a few hours earlier and knew all my details. I had no reason to believe they were not working for EE. Where did they get detailed information about me discussed with EE earlier on? They sent me return label on what’s up, but spoke to me over the phone.

053a1866-5578-4430-a83d-0fec6c66d223.jpeg

ae770db7-c8dd-4cca-b986-2c2b02c7df81.jpeg

@Agnieszka79   You actually think EE would use what’s app ?    How they knew you had terminated is beyond me but using what’s app should have been a red flag from the start.    You simply got scammed and proceeded to just go along with it.  

I did call EE on 150 from one of my devices to cancel the contract. I have been with EE 10 years. 
When I was called later with relation to my contract cancellation I had no reason to believe it wasn’t EE staff. 

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Agnieszka79 

I've sent you a private message to get some information from you. Please take a look and get back to me.

Thanks

Chris