cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EARLY UPGRADE

CRAIGSTA1073
Contributor
Contributor

So I have been with EE since July 1999 when it was actually One 2 One, and during the 24 years 3 months I have had my contract I have never used any other service provider.

I had my phone stolen Saturday and Im not due for an upgrade until Jan 2024.  I rang EE and they want an early upgrade fee of £92.54.  I have asked if this could possibly be waivered due to my longevity with EE (and the fact I also have my daughters contract with them and have done for approximately 5/6 years, plus also had my ex partner on there for 2 years 2020-2022) but was advised no as there are 91 days left on my contract!

OK so its an early upgrade and its my problem, but 24 years + of loyalty and my early upgrade fee cant be waivered, REALLY???  I find that quite shocking and makes me feel like Im not a valued customer of EE when actually I should be. 

Maybe I should just hold out with my temporary phone then once my contract is up I join another mobile network that appreciates customer loyalty, after all there are quite a few out there that offer cheaper contracts than what I was quoted anyway; ID want £32.99 pm with a £9.00 upfront fee for an iPhone 13, EE were after £42.00 (approx).  Shocking is an understatement.

Still, great to know I can rely on EE during my time of need as much as they have been able to rely on me!

8 REPLIES 8
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@CRAIGSTA1073  your contract has never been 24 years you contract has been from when you started till you upgraded than it’s a new contract each time you upgraded. The amount of time spent with a company doesn’t entitle you to not pay any required fee to upgrade early and you agreed to that when you took out each and every contract you agreed too.    The amount of contracts you have with any network provider doesn’t mean you don’t pay any fee.     Why should you be exception to  everyone else ?  

What you didn’t take out and would cover this is insurance as that’s what it’s for.  

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

How long you've been with EE is immaterial. What matters & counts is how long you've had your current contract & that's from about Jan 2022. As you are not yet due for a standard upgrade you will need to pay an early upgrade fee.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
CRAIGSTA1073
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I know that im not stupid, clearly didnt use the correct wording for some, so if you want to split hairs then, my length of service has been 24 years 3 months.

Im merely stating Chris that I have been with them for so long that surely that should hold some weight or at least some reduction in some way.  Plus I am still willing to pay EE's £19 extra pm for an iPhone 13 that I could get cheaper elsewhere, just to stay with them.  Its likely loyalty means nothing, yet companies bend over backwards for new customers, most of whom probably look for better details once their "contract" is up!

No way is that what insurance is for, really??  How do you know I havent got insurance, I never said I had and I never said I havent??  How do you know my financial situation to know if I am able to afford insurance with my current out goings??

I always find it best to ask rather than to assume!  

I appreciate its irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but although my "contracts" are only 2 years at a time, my loyalty has been 24 years +.  All I am trying to say is long serving customers should really be entitled to a better customer experience, and maybe get the odd perk etc here and there, rather than all the reductions and promotions going to new customers.  Its the same everywhere, not just with EE, ie SKY, when I was with them for 10 years I couldnt get the same package at the same price as someone who had never been with them or had left them for over 12 months.  Just makes you wonder 'why stay'.

It is what it is, I just wanted to vent and make my feelings known thats all; may be if more of us did this then companies such as EE or SKY etc would listen and take our thoughts/complaints/concerns on board  - just a thought.

@CRAIGSTA1073     I don’t know if you do or do not have insurance I just stated that’s what it’s for and you clearly thought that you didn’t have to claim If you do have insurance that is and you wouldn’t have to pay an early upgrade fee  and not make an claim.      You are not going to be the exception, and everyone is under the same terms and conditions when they want to upgrade early, regardless of time spent with any network provider.        

as far, it’s always best to ask rather than assume. You’re assuming that you can upgrade for nothing because of time spent and seem upset that you are being requested to pay the fee as per your agreement with EE. 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @CRAIGSTA1073 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

I am sorry to hear you have had your phone stolen, if you would like to discuss your options further please contact our mobile care team again to see if there is anything else that can be offered. 

Leanne.

Hi Leanne

Appreciate your reply thank you.  I have already spoken to upgrades and have ordered my new phone.  If you could please pass on my thanks to them again.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for letting me know @CRAIGSTA1073 

Leanne.