cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unmanaged Network Switch

Pommoz313
Investigator
Investigator

I was wondering if there is any additional configuration required for the Smart Router in order to use an unmanaged network switch?  Can the switch simply be connected to the router via an ethernet cable?  I have tried and get live connections to the devices but no internet access.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
chistery
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I would assume the AP was acting as a DHCP server and you ended up with two devices assigning IPs. The AP won and the other devices wouldn't have the right IP and gateway assigned.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Pommoz313   There are no settings as such with a network switch.  It should just be plug and play.   Have you tried a different lan port on the router 

I have just tried this and powered the router off/on and the same result. 

Would it make any difference if the device on the wired connection is an Xbox?  

@Pommoz313   have you tried abother cable and/or port on the router?

Make sure you use a LAN port, not WAN on the router.

Depending on the switch the input can be the forst port.

Are there any lights on the switch?

Which switch is it?

I just tried another cable, changed to Port 2 of the router and I moved it to Port 1 of the switch, rebooted both. 

The same error.  The link is active and both lights are green.

The switch is a Cisco SG110-16HP.

@Pommoz313   looking at the set up on the link below, it looks like the router shoul be connected to one of the right hand ports, your devices on the left side ports.

The other thing to maybe try is another device to see if it gets an IP address - and/or if the router advanced LAN page shows the device being connected.

https://media.dustin.eu/media/d200001001347123/small-business-sf110-16-quickstartguide.pdf 

chistery
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I assume both ports on the switch have link lights on?

Have you rebooted once connected to the switch so it will get an IP by DHCP? Does it get a DHCP IP address, gateway and DNS? Have you tried configuring with a static IP?

Right here we go....

I had an Access Point connected to a PoE port on the switch which was green lighted for the link but solid amber for the PoE.  I unplugged this from the switch along with all the other cables (they had no devices connected) except the Xbox cable.  I then plugged the AP cable directly into the router via its  PoE injector and rebooted everything.  Now all devices have connection to the internet.

May have had something to do with the AP connection not being right?  I would have thought you could run an AP via a PoE switch port?

It's running like this so I'll leave it as is.  Thanks for all for your help.

Yes to all.  Strange right?  See my post above re the Access Point.  

Appreciate your help though.

chistery
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I would assume the AP was acting as a DHCP server and you ended up with two devices assigning IPs. The AP won and the other devices wouldn't have the right IP and gateway assigned.