cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Wifi - number of access points

garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I've just moved over to EE Broadband from BT Broadband. With both providers, my service is/was FTTP 1Gbps.

On the BT service, I was using the Smart Hub 2 with Complete WiFi and I had four discs around the house, all connected to the Smart Hub via ethernet. This meant I got WiFi at the same speed on the top floor of the house as I did at the ground floor. Without the WiFi discs that wasn't the case, because the signal from the Hub, on the ground floor, dropped off over the distance.

Now, with EE, I have the Smart Hub Plus - so an upgrade to WiFi 6, and EE's Smart WiFi devices to replace the Complete WiFi discs. I'm noticing that only the Smart WiFi device furthest from the Smart Hub Plus (two floors up) is actually getting any client connections. The Smart WiFi devices on the first floor don't get any connections, because those devices are all connecting to the Smart Hub Plus itself. 

I'm wondering why this is, and whether it has to do with the Smart Hub Plus having 160Mhz WiFi whilst the Smart WiFi Devices are only 80Mhz? I think that there wasn't this difference between the BT Smart Hub and Complete WiFi discs, and so my client devices tended to connect to whichever disc was the closest. 

If my conclusions above are right, then I'm thinking that the Smart WiFi might be redundant in my new setup, apart from the one on the top floor which is getting connections and where the signal from the router is not as strong.

What do you think?

1 REPLY 1
garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@bobpullen I think this is the type of question you'll have an answer to! Can you share your thoughts with me, please?