cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Smart HUB does not resolve hostnames correctly

rootsrat
Investigator
Investigator

Hi. I have received my new Smart Hub and connected it. It doesn't seem to resolve the hostnames on my internal network correctly. The old hub worked perfectly fine in that regard. I have 2 machines connected via ethernet - one is a desktop PC and the second is a NAS box. They are resolved as "host_1" and "host_2". 

Is this a bug? I tried changing the name to something else and restarting both the NAS and the router, but it just doesn't resolve the name and it always lists it as host_1 and host_2 regardless.

-- UPDATE

OK, this is happening whenever I assign a static IP address in these hosts ip configuration. When I use DHCP, regardless of "always use this IP" setting on the router, they are always reported as host_1 and host_2. 

11 REPLIES 11
rootsrat
Investigator
Investigator

I have the same problem with my new Smart Hub. The older model worked perfectly fine, but I just got a new one and the machines connected via Ethernet are recognised as host_1, host_2 etc. 

Wireless devices are picked up correctly. 

rootsrat
Investigator
Investigator

It's worked fine on the previous model though without hosts file edits. Is this a "feature" of this new Smart Hub?

@rootsrat : It's a diff issue.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@rootsrat  alas it seems someone deemed it a good idea for some obscure reason to separate your original post and another reply to a post and start a new thread, which  now does not seem to help your initial enquiry!

That said, it is not so much of a router function, but more likely to be just a discovery thing from your network devices.

@Mustrum : There are 2 separate issues:

1. The other thread was from over a year ago about legacy EE BB using a legacy router, possibly a BrightBox. Here that OP could see the correct device names in the router but couldn't address them by their device name but only by their private IP.
  2. This thread is about NEW EE BB using the Smart Hub+. Here the OP cannot even see the correct device names in the router but instead some anon aliases. This is a separate & known issue & I understand that device naming is intended to be done in the MyEE app under WiFi Controls, which as we all know doesn't work at all well!

The OP of this thread is the OP's very own. Only the 2 replies were moved back here as they don't relate to the year old issue.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@XRaySpeX   sorry you seem to have missed the point of my earlier post, the edits that were made now make little sense to anyone trying to help the OP.

@Mustrum : Rubbish! I've addressed the point you expressed in your post. I see no other point. Perhaps you care to spell it out. This thread is the OP's own. You seem to imply it isn't!

"This thread is about NEW EE BB using the Smart Hub+. Here the OP cannot even see the correct device names in the router but instead some anon aliases. This is a separate & known issue & I understand that device naming is intended to be done in the MyEE app under WiFi Controls, which as we all know doesn't work at all well!

--

So you're saying I can change the device names in a moblie application, but not in the router UI? Seriously? Where exactly is that option please? I can't find it in the app (but then again there is a Manage tab, which just says I can't view it. Maybe it's there?). And why would it be in "Wi Fi" options, if the issue is with Ethernet connected devices? Sweet Jeebus...  Who designs this stuff? 

That's the theory! It supposed under the Manage tab > WiFi Controls. God only knows! More so whichever mgr gave them the remit to config much of the router settings from an app necessitating a smartphone which not every user may have or wish to use for config'ing a router.