Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to replace Smart Hub Plus (SH31b) with something more intelligent

sfs-from-bt-24
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I am stragling with the new EE SNart Hub SH31B. I have moved from BT to EE.

I already have ORBI RBK753S which I used with BT Hub 2 succesfully. I disabled WiFi on BT Hub2 but used it as a modem and DNS generator. It worked also with WoIP phone and it had USB which I used for my label printer.

I would ideally like to replace EE Smart Hub with my own route connected via RJ45 directly to BT - now EE - Fibre socket.

I feel I may need some ID and pasword to access fibre if I am to use my own not EE router.

Can anybody help me with choice of good outer wich will have few RJ45 sockets, working USB for printer and also allow for my phone line to be connected to it. I believe Some of the work can be doen by my Orbi mesh router.

Ypur help and experience will be highly appreciated.

Kind regards

Stash

9 REPLIES 9
sfs-from-bt-24
Investigator
Investigator

Sorry - I ment DHCP server - I am using now EE Smart Hub and until yesterday BT Hub2 to be my network DHCP server. I think I can use ORBI to do that job and use the Hub only as abridge between the Fibre box and my Orbi network.

Best

Stash

@sfs-from-bt-24 If you have just moved from BT to EE, and still have your BT hub, then it should still work as previous if you put it back online, there would be no need to use the EE superhub + as you are now finding all the short cummings regarding usb, phone etc. Give it a try.

The Landline is always going to be an issue as it needs to use the phone port of the router. If the BT router has this port use it, and search the forum you will find people with all kinds of issues trying to use the EE router for voice on landline.

-SRB-
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I moved to EE from BT too - I'm just using my existing BT Hub - unless you've gone for the 1.6 fibre deal and faster wifi and really have to use the EE hub,  just stick with the set up you had previously. 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master
  1. If you have EE's Digital Home Phone (BT's DV) the EE SH+ (or BT SH2) needs to be the 1st router connected to the ONT.
  2. In Using & Configuring a Third Party Router you'll find everything you need to set up your router incl. the BB PPPoE creds. which are now the same as BT's.
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi XRaySpeX. Most helpful reply - Thank you.

It looks like t be safe and use BT/EE telephone I really have to have their router. With some more advise given I will go back to original BT Hub2 as it works with th contract. I will pay the £50 BT is charging for it and stop experimanting and getting stressed with the EE new hub. I had similar issue few years ego when I could not set DynDNS on EE copper router and switched to BT. Hope this rather pontless rebranding and sales push to move away from BT will not be regratable.

I just wonder if one day EE will not make some silly change in the setup of its Fibre BB and my BT Hub2 will stop working.

BTW - does anybody know where can I find PDF manual for EE SmartHub3? Not one online or via the hub itself - good od PDF version to read at my leasure and pleasure

Many thanks once again

Stash

-SRB-
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I wasn't offered the option of a new EE hub when I moved across, so if it puts your mind at rest, the BT Smart Hub is probably going to be ok for a while yet 🙂

Hi JimM11

Many thanks for your reply.

My old BT hub works fine with new EE contract and as a matter of fact I used it after the switch to EE for few days while waiting for the new EE smarthub+. I am going back to it although I am afraid EE may change something in their setup one day and old BT Hub2 will stop working. I will pay the £50 BT is charging for it and stop experimanting and getting stressed with the EE new hub. 

DO you know if there is anywhere download available of PDF version of the manual for the EE smarthub+ SH31B?

Thanks and kind regards

Stash

Rightly you shouldn't have to pay to keep the BT SH2. Many users being moved from BT to EE haven't been given an EE SH+ but have been told to use their existing SH2. Have a word with EE about sending their SH+ back & keeping the BT SH2 w/out charge.

There is no published manual. EE is not like the real router manufacturers 😉 ! Try reading reviews online; some have specs. Trouble is that much of its functionality has been foolishly plonked in a broken mobile app.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@sfs-from-bt-24 Wise move to stay with the BT router, the EE is honestly not fit for purpose at present and has to many short cummings as you would have found out. I would contact both EE and BT about keeping both routers, and not give them 1 penny extra, you are doing them both a service by keeping the BT router on an EE service for broadband. The routers are so restricted by web and app interface its not even funny, and you now know that manual for pdf is not/never likely to happen.

DV is always going to be a issue and no way round it without using the manufactures router. I am waiting for OR to get the finger out and put the FTTP up the pole, Virgin already used all there ducts 6 months ago and have been live that amount of time, but does one really want to go there.... At that point, EE super hub+ becomes redundant and my Asus XT8 and RP-AX58 slots right onto the ONT, and do not expect any issues what so ever. They are currently connected on the back of the EE just like your ORBI is and the landline is ditched so not even a worry. If EE was do something stupid then BT will be all over them like a rash, if BT is forcing people to go over to EE then there are going to be many like you with the BT kept router. So keep them both do NOT pay anything they are NOT like for like no matter what EE says. Good luck hope it all works out. Jim