cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check type of EE fibre connection I have?

myare1234
Explorer

I have an EE Smart router with a Fibre connection and white EE Smart WiFi Discs.

As I work from home, I need to replace my router with a third-party router so I have more control over the router configuration.

I am looking for a third-party router with VPN (server/client) capabilities, a stateful firewall (not just port forwarding), and also WiFi extension capabilities like the EE WiFi Disc.

So my questions are:

1. How can I check the type of Fibre connection that I have, e.g., Fibre FTTC, VDSL, VDSL2/VDSL2+?

2. Is there any third-party router that is compatible with my current EE internet connection?

3. Is the EE Smart WiFi Disc compatible with any third-party routers for WiFi extension in my house?

Thanks in advance

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for your reply.

I have attached the information about my broadband plan here.

Could you please advise if a third-party router like the DrayTek Vigor 2866ax would be compatible with my current EE broadband? Additionally, I am looking for a router that has a similar type of EE Smart WiFi disc to extend WiFi (not a normal WiFi extender)

Speed: Download =70.05, upload=20.63

My router is a white rectangular device with dots on the top.

The EE disc is a white round WiFi disk featuring the EE logo in the middle.

Download Speed between62.4 Mb/s and 72.8 Mb/s
Upload Speed between17.3 Mb/s and 18.2 Mb/s
Minimum Guaranteed Download speed57.00 Mb/s

EE Broadband speed.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

1. If you have the white Smart Router you probably, but not necessarily, have a type of FTTC called G.Fast, capable of speeds up to 330 Meg.

What sync speeds do you get at the router & what speeds were you promised?

What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker.

2. There are a few 3rd-party routers that do G.Fast.

3. The white round Smart WiFi discs were only compatible with the  white Smart Router.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thank you for your reply.

I have attached the information about my broadband plan here.

Could you please advise if a third-party router like the DrayTek Vigor 2866ax would be compatible with my current EE broadband? Additionally, I am looking for a router that has a similar type of EE Smart WiFi disc to extend WiFi (not a normal WiFi extender)

Speed: Download =70.05, upload=20.63

My router is a white rectangular device with dots on the top.

The EE disc is a white round WiFi disk featuring the EE logo in the middle.

Download Speed between62.4 Mb/s and 72.8 Mb/s
Upload Speed between17.3 Mb/s and 18.2 Mb/s
Minimum Guaranteed Download speed57.00 Mb/s

EE Broadband speed.png

W/out seeing the router stats & the BT Availability Checker it looks like you have VDSL2 capable of speeds up to 80 Meg.

Yes, the DrayTek Vigor 2866ax would handle that. Most generic WiFi mesh systems will go with it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)