cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Fibre Installation Woes

thebullsofcorby
Explorer

We originally applied to have full fibre installed early Feb 2024, and was given an install date of the 23rd of Feb. The Openreach engineer came out to install the fibre on the 23rd but found our ducts to be inaccessible, so he tried our neighbours (with their permission) and theirs was hitting some form of blockage. The engineer sprayed a line across the front garden to mark where the civil's team would need to dig, which on the 4th of April they turned up and done the dig, laid the new ducting with a pull cord inside. Still to this day (18/04/2024) they have left barricades out the front of the house around a hole which instead of filling in properly they have just dumped the rubble in. Not sure why they didn't tarmac it straight away as they did a little stretch which has all sunk now. Anyway we then had an Openreach engineer come out Tuesday to install our fibre, he goes to the manhole which our house should connect to find the pull cord isn't in there, so he checks another manhole which is down the street and finds it in there. We then find out this manhole hasn't been commissioned yet for full fibre so we either need Openreach to sign it off and commission it (The CBT etc is already in the manhole) or they are going to need to figure out how to run the fibre cable from the house to the correct manhole. The engineer I spoke to said that he has sent this off to the tiger team to deal with. A few other engineers I have spoke to have suggested that if they can't commission the manhole for full fibre then another dig might be needed which is going to add even more delays, and could potentially get to the point where we're going to have to pay towards the install for something that isn't our fault and is down to pure stupidity on the civil's  teams part. The next update we should get from Openreach should be on the 23rd of April, as they have escalated it apparently but whether this actually gets us anywhere quicker I dont know. Seems like we're having some of the worst luck possible with this. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and what ended up happening in the end?

1 REPLY 1
thebullsofcorby
Explorer

To now top it off an engineer came out Tuesday to run the fibre cable (which had already been laid). He then realised he couldn’t do so fast forward to today there are two Openreach vans outside the house and they are going to redirect the cable to the correct pit/CBT. Turns out way the ducting needs to go is blocked either because of the dig team did a bad job or didn’t cut the tubing so that it could go either way. How the dig team is required to come out again (2nd time now) to fix the mistake and make it so the cable can be run the correct way. Hopefully they won’t have much of a job to do as the pit they left filled with rubble is still there along with the shocking pavement tarmacking that they done the first time round