cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE white FTTP router hidden ssid

huggons
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I have set my 2.4 GHz WiFi to channel 6. Does anyone know why my router is also displaying 2 hidden ssid's on the 2.4 GHz band alongside the one set to channel 6, that I named as  2.4ghz.

Have factory reset router. Always done this and has been the same on each of the firmware updates that EE released.

I have spoken to EE, but they don't know what to say or do.

TIA

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@huggons   in what way are they affecting your heater controls?

Have you tried the other channels?  Or moved the router/heater control or even a bit of tin foil in between them? 

PS, to be sure it is just the router, you would need to switch off your other Wi-Fi devices - printers for example also transmit on the same channel as the router, although do also have their own SSID.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Those hidden SSID's could be close mobile phones which are NOT connected to your SSID. They could also be smart meter connections, again NOT connected to you. They are nothing to worry about.

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

A quick way to check if the are associated with your router is to switch iy off. If the are still there it is another device transmitting them. If one or both go it could be part of a possible firmware upgrade - it is common until recently on the PN Hub 2, and I beleive the BT Smart Hub 2 uses it as part of the smart WIFI disc/mesh.

Still nothing to worry about though.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Please post the form of these 3 SSIDs involved obscuring any personal names & all the digits. Do they contain 'EE'?

What shows on the Home > Advanced Settings > Advanced Wireless page, again obscuring any personal names & all the digits?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
huggons
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks both. 

They are coming from the router, disappear when I switch it off and reappear once power fully up again.

Need to get to the bottom of it, as our underfloor heating controls are being affected by the signal.

@huggons   in what way are they affecting your heater controls?

Have you tried the other channels?  Or moved the router/heater control or even a bit of tin foil in between them? 

PS, to be sure it is just the router, you would need to switch off your other Wi-Fi devices - printers for example also transmit on the same channel as the router, although do also have their own SSID.

huggons
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hidden ssid's interfering with the channel wireless controls run on, according to Heatmiser, the manufacturer. Channel 6 is set for this purpose, but the hidden uds can move around the channels.

Hidden ssid's definitely coming from th EE router. Have you got one yourself?

Added screenshot 

Screenshot_20230209-182420.png

I am happy to say I don't have one, I prefer to use my own. Which may be a way forward for you.

I will tag in @bobpullen  who may have some info regarding any updates due on the EE router. 

huggons
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks. Interesting thread here https://community.bt.com/t5/Archive-Staging/Smart-Hub-2-Firmware-glitch-and-sneaky-networks/m-p/2004... 

Seems to be the same issue. Looks like was "resolved" by a firmware update, however seems to be that this was only to address the issue of the hidden ssid's still showing when WiFi was disabled. I would suggest that you should also be able to stop these additional hidden ssid's being broadcast alongside the SSID that you actually want. Shame EE tech support are not able to understand the issue 

huggons
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Screenshot_20230209-223212.png