cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE’s new WiFi 7 router

TuckerUK
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Just seen on ISPreview that EE are releasing a new WiFi 7 router later this year. Hopefully it come with 2.5gb or 10gb ports so it’s future proof with the new 1.6gb package that’s being released to the public soon. 

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2024/02/first-pictures-of-ees-new-wifi-7-uk-broadband-router-e...

IMG_0222.jpeg

8 REPLIES 8
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @TuckerUK 

Good news but most people will not have much tech which uses this standard at the moment. For future proof then yes great. 

I also suspect it will be expensive as most current WiFi 7 devices are expensive at the moment.

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
TuckerUK
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Yeah I get that totally. But being on all rounder package 900mbps when I joined. I wanted the new busiest home bundle 1.6gb last October when I moved from BT. But wasn’t allowed to go on that package like others on this forum coming from BT. I’m a big gamer so are my four boys. So that new package and the new router appeals to us as a household massively. My PC already has a 10gb Ethernet port so hardwired I would have no issues whatsoever with speeds. But like others in here going onto that new package you don’t have 2.5gb ports on the current router so you have to buy a 3rd part one. So I’ll wait for the WiFi 7 router to be released and see where we’re at then with the new busiest home bundle etc. 

Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @TuckerUK 

Similar as I have an Eero Pro E setup which is great bandwidth. The new Eero Max 7 is £600 and as my S24 Ultra is the only device which uses WIFI 7 it's a lot to pay for the 7 icon on my phone. These access points will come down in price and if ISP's start handing them out free then they will definitely come down. 

Plus that picture looks like a 3D printer job! 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
Geekofbroadband
Contributor
Contributor

If the firmware on it is the same level of standard as on the Smart Hub Plus they can keep it, they'll make you pay an extra £5 a month for that shiny new Wifi7 router too

Will be stick to using my own router. All ISP routers that i have encountered have been pants, EE / BT making the firmware for this definitely does not help that situation. My last router cost £500 will happily pay £700 for another

You must acknowledge the Firmware is to cater for an average user, not necessarily a tech savvy person.

I have FF 900MB, and find the existing WIFI 6 router exceptionally good. It's also consistent with high speeds, the Firmware is fine for me, as is the UI.

The previous, Hub Two, was inconsistent with speeds, and would lose connectivity on occasion - even after tweaking the Channels, Smart Channels should have been enough.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yet many of those who have been migrated from BT are tech savvy.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I agree in terms of features an ISP router doesn't need everything, but stability with the Smart Hub Plus is still an issue, I'm pretty sure there's a memory leak, there's random errors, VoIP takes ages to connect if at all (Had to do multiple reboots) and I've noticed it takes a while for the Hub to establish a connection to devices like for exmaple my PC plugged in with ethernet, I log in pretty fast and I have to wait about 7-8 seconds for the Hub to give me internet, where as on the older Smart Hub 2 it was already done by the time I logged in.