cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a separate modem (?)/using third-party router

DG_070
Investigator
Investigator

After moving house a couple of months ago, things have calmed down enough for me to consider switching out the supplied (white) EE Smart Router. I used a fantastic ASUS RT-AX82U at my old place which I wanted to tag in, but spent the last half a day trying to get it to work (to no avail). In the process of trying I've learnt a few things (posted here so people can double-check if wanting):

• I assumed any fibre meant you had an ONT- turns out that I have FTTC, which means I still need a modem (?)
  • The RT-AX82U is a router-only model (thus can't plug-and-play, so to speak)
  • The EE Smart Router does not support bridge mode (so can't connect the Asus to it)

As such, my current thought process is that I can buy a half-decent modem, and just switch that out with the EE Smart Router (and then plug the ASUS into that). In this case, I'd like to ask a few questions:

• If I buy a cheap (second-hand) BT OpenReach Fibre VDSL2 Modem, would that work with what I'm suggesting?
  • Will this impact my phone line at all?
  • Is there something really obvious I'm missing that you'd recommend instead? 🙂

Thanks so much for any help anyone is willing to give!

9 REPLIES 9
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Full Fibre (FTTP) has the ONT; all other Fibre (FTTC) doesn't but comes down a landline.

Answers are:

1. Yes, you need a VDSL2 modem.
  2. Not at all.
  3. Only getting a combined VDSL2/ADSL modem router instead of the ASUS RT-AX82U. The nearest equivalent is the ASUS DSL-AC88U.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thank you for your response.

Given I already have the ASUS RT-AX82U, I'm looking at a slightly more budget fix than buying a whole new router (with an integrated modem). As such I'll have more of a look at (standalone modem) VDSL2 alternatives- are there any brands (or models) you'd recommend?

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hey @DG_070  your plan sounds sound, providing you are on VDSL, and not on G Fast - also delivered over your phone line with speeds above 80Mbps?

Some people like to plug/install and forget, others like the idea of being able to monitor, or at least view modem stats, not least to ensure you are getting the most from your line. The Openreach modems are locked as standard, so don't help if you want that info, but there are other options that may help, the TD-W9970  router can be used in modem only mode, or even the sister PN Hub 2 to your EE Smart Router can work in bridge mode. Or indeed the DSL-AC88U, again assuming you are not on G Fast.

Were it me, but you are not! What is important to you?

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Good point about G.Fast! In which case you will need a G.Fast modem.

Which EE BB product do you have? If it has "Max" in its name it's G.Fast.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
DG_070
Investigator
Investigator

@Mustrum@XRaySpeX 

Thank you both for your responses.

I had no idea what I was on until today, but apparently it's G.Fast (as I'm on the Fibre Max 100 package). I guess that rules out the modems I was previously looking at, so great spot!

Does this also rule out all of the products mentioned above? If so, are there any further recommendations you can make?

In terms of what's important to me... if I'm being honest, plug and play was the original aim. But monitoring/optimising sounds like something that could be very interesting, so depending on the price hike that would require I wouldn't mind looking into it!

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

A bit late now, but  using the ASUSin AP mode could be a simple solution. But if you want/need it in router mode G FAST modems are harder to come by..

Tomorrow may come with new ideas.!!

The ASUS DSL-AC88U does support G.Fast. They are hard to find but others may suggest some others or G.Fast modems.

You could always continue using the white EE Smart Router, which is 1 of the rare ADSL/VDSL2/G.Fast modem routers.

@Mustrum @XRaySpeX 

Thank you both for your responses.

After the suggestion about using the ASUS in AP mode, I think I've been quite ignorant of networking in general- my belief was that if I wanted to use my router it had to be through bridge mode, but that apparently is not the case. In which case, could I check a couple of things:

• Does Mesh WiFi not have cross-compatibility (apparently both the EE and ASUS routers talk about mesh WiFi, but they seem to be different 'types')?
  • Is there any point in using the ASUS as an AP and turning off the WiFi on the EE router (as to only have one device to connect to)?
  • If I were to use the ASUS as an AP (regardless of what I did to the EE), would I still be able to use PiHole as a part of my network?
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@DG_070   I don't believe the mesh systems are compatible,  manufacturers like to do their own thing.

I guess you will have to work that one out and will depend on why you want to use the ASUS and will it do those things in AP mode.

No.t sure where you have the PiHole , but if it is working now, no reason it should not