cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing the broadband password

jpbrooks67
Investigator
Investigator

We recently switched to EE from Vodafone.   When we set up the EE account, it said it had taken over the vodafone line.   So now when we see what networks are available, vodafone comes up but not EE.  This is fine for us because we have the old vodafone password.  However, when we have guests who want to use our wifi, the EE password that is shown on the router does not connect them.

What can we do?  We no longer have the vodafone router as we didn't think we would need it any more.  Is there any  way of changing the password when we don't know what the existing one is?  

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@jpbrooks67   Do you use an apple device ?     If you do go to Settings/Wifi/click the blue “I” next to your WiFi name.   Then click on the blanked out WiFi password.   Pass the ID check and voilà there’s your password.   

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

If you've moved your BB to EE, how is it possible for a Voda network to come up? Do you mean that when you installed your EE router it somehow took on the Voda WiFi network SSID that you had on the Voda router (or you deliberately made it so)? If so, just tell your guests the Voda WiFi pwd that you have. It'll be no diff from giving them the WiFi pwd written on the EE router's label in normal circumstances. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

That's the point - I no longer have the vodafone password because we no longer have that router and don't need it any more.   I don't know how the EE jumped onto the vodafone network but it seems to have done so.

But in your OP you said:

@jpbrooks67 wrote:

This is fine for us because we have the old vodafone password.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Sorry - what I meant is that it is stored in our computers and devices - we haven't written it down anywhere.

Don't any of your devices have a toggle to show the pwd in clear?

Otherwise, you could change them to anything you want, even the 1s written on the router, by logging into the router & going to the Advanced > Wireless Settings page. Which EE router is it?

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Do you mean that when you installed your EE router it somehow took on the Voda WiFi network SSID that you had on the Voda router (or you deliberately made it so)?

If you use the EE app for the initial setup then there is an option to 'Transfer Devices', which essentially renames the SSID to that of your previous hub. Could be that this is what happened?

@jpbrooks67 - regardless, like @XRaySpeX says, if you can't obtain the Wi-Fi password from an already associated device, then it can always be changed via the app or by logging into the Hub Manager at http://192.168.1.254

@jpbrooks67   Do you use an apple device ?     If you do go to Settings/Wifi/click the blue “I” next to your WiFi name.   Then click on the blanked out WiFi password.   Pass the ID check and voilà there’s your password.   

This is the helpful reply!   Thank you very much - I can see that I could have done that.

In fact, I had to speak to Tech Support at EE on another matter, so they rebooted my router remotely and the network appeared.    But knowing that I can do this in future is a great relief so thank you.