Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL configuration - Linksys

weber11
Investigator
Investigator

Screenshot 2024-03-19 202811.pngHello everyone,

Where I live, I don't have fiber, and EE only provided an ADSL connection (classic telephone wire, OpenReach RJ11 box) that is connected to the EE Hub. I want to use bridge mode, and I know that the EE Hub doesn't support it, so I bought a Linksys WAG354G ADSL model on eBay. I followed all the recommendations in the COOPER section of the website https://ee.co.uk/help/broadband/getting-started/using-and-configuring-a-third-party-router, but I was unsuccessful. I also copied my username from the EE Hub, but I don't know what the password would be. Any tips? It should be simple for me, but the ADSL connection doesn't work on the Linksys even after following all the instructions in the COOPER section of the EE website, meaning the connection never goes up.

Thank you a lot !
Weber

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
weber11
Investigator
Investigator

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share an update. I managed to find a solution. Turns out, I mistakenly thought my last mile RJ11 was a classic ADSL connection, so I bought an ADSL modem to set it up in bridge mode and then connect my Linksys router for Wi-Fi. However, after doing some more research and searching for a database of FTTC to see if there was fiber installed in my area... and bingo, there is! I quickly bought a VDSL model from DLINK, the TD-W9960, put it in bridge mode, configured the VLANs, and everything's up and running! Thanks for all your help! And just a reminder... do some research on how your street is set up with broadband internet before you start buying equipment. It really helps!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Where BB Username  = PRODUCTIONHQNUNdigits@FS then BB pwd = HQNPASSdigits .

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@weber11   the instructions in that section are not the greatest. The DSL modulation should be the fastest your line can cope with - typically AFSL2.

As for the password, I found some time ago is you use the Username without the Production bit so just copy the HQN and so on it works. There used to be a more detailed help page but it seems to not be there anymore.

Failing that the Broadband  Care Team can help if you give them a call.

weber11
Investigator
Investigator

Hello @XRaySpeX and @Mustrum , thank you for reply !

I've tried all options and nothing worked. A question, is there any configuration in the EE Hub that, not sure how to define, that have a strong assignment to the mac address ? something that I need to release BEFORE changing to another modem ?

There's nowt even vaguely connected with MAC Addys.

Try Autodetect = Enable.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@weber11   you say in the OP you want to use bridge mode = what is it you are trying to do?

What other options are there under "Encapsulation"

Is the an option to turn the QOS type to off?

Hello, Yes, I want to use bridge mode, but my current EE Hub don't support it. This is why I bought this Linksys ADSL modem. Under the encapsulation there are PPoA, PPoE, Bridge. But.. as I don't have the ADSL line up, nothing is working yet.

weber11
Investigator
Investigator

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share an update. I managed to find a solution. Turns out, I mistakenly thought my last mile RJ11 was a classic ADSL connection, so I bought an ADSL modem to set it up in bridge mode and then connect my Linksys router for Wi-Fi. However, after doing some more research and searching for a database of FTTC to see if there was fiber installed in my area... and bingo, there is! I quickly bought a VDSL model from DLINK, the TD-W9960, put it in bridge mode, configured the VLANs, and everything's up and running! Thanks for all your help! And just a reminder... do some research on how your street is set up with broadband internet before you start buying equipment. It really helps!