cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making calls from my Apple watch without my phone

WillW78
Investigator
Investigator

Can anyone here help. I've had my Apple watch for months now and have never been able to make calls or send msgs from it without my phone being connected. It has a separate data plan to my phone and I was told when I purchased it that this would be possible. After endless calls to customer services I have finally given up expecting a call back. Has anyone else had this problem and did you find a solution. Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
Schockwave
Community Hero
Community Hero

Hello @WillW78 ,

Welcome to the community,na

Have you taken a look at your watch when away from your phone to see if it has a signal? You can do this by scrolling up and will see if you have 4G signal. I have checked mine by going to the bottom of the garden and can see that 4G is showing.

Never made calls or text with the phone, as I usually have my phone with me, but just wanted to see what sort of signal I would get down there.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.

As soon as I turn my phone off or I am away from my phone it shows No SIM

@WillW78 , it looks like you have not set up the cellular on your phone, I would suggest ringing customer service, as you are paying for it. 

You could try unpairing the watch from the phone and set it up again, but make sure you are not connected to wifi, that is switch both off, if not sure, customer service will help you, as you need to add the plan you have for the watch to the watch, using the watch up on the phone.

You can also take a look on Apple how to set it up correctly.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.

I've tried unpairing and pairing dozens of times. I've been waiting for a call back from Customer Services for about 6 months. The guys in store couldn't help me out, this is my last effort before it goes in the drawer forever.

@WillW78 not sure why you have waited so long for customer service to call you, but I would suggest ringing them up, not sure why you are having this problem and not sure why the guy in the store could not help.

Did you unpair, reboot and make sure neither are connected to wifi? 

@Chris_B  do you have an answer to this person’s problem? Anything I have missed out?

I've called them numerous times just to get told I will get a call back. Yeah i've unpaired and paired without wifi. I've tried pairing as a new device and restoring from back up, none of these worked. Thanks 

@WillW78 , where did you get your phone and watch from? EE only sell cellular watches, but if you bought it elsewhere, did you make sure that it is a cellular watch? There are ones that are not cellular and so data would not work, just wanted to make sure, as if cellular, then not sure why you are having this problem.

Yeah I bought it from EE, it's cellular, it shows as a separate number on my billing. The first watch I had that lasted about 2 weeks didn't make calls either so i'm assuming this is a setup problem. Thanks

I've just unpaired and paired again. This time it gets as far as setting up the watch to make calls and has been idling with 'Please wait while the page is loading... This should only take a few seconds to complete' for about 10 minutes.