cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove 5g

col_72
Visitor

I have the Pixel 8 Pro, the 5g connectivity is pretty ropey and would like to revert to LTE and/or 4g only.  4g is rock solid. I have looked at disabling this in the handset settings but the option is not there. Nor is the test page accessed through the dialler. 

Research suggest that my 'carrier' has restricted this?   Can you confirm this?  And if so can EE remove the 5g element from my SIM or at network level, or unlock the option so I can remove the 5g in the handset settings?

5g is meant to be better, the user experience suggests this is a regression of connectivity, performance and stability.

Thanks

Col.

2 REPLIES 2
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @col_72 

Welcome to the community.

If you speak to our Technical Support team, one of our guides will be able to look into removing 5G from your SIM.

Chris

bristolian
Legend
Legend

@col_72 wrote:

5g is meant to be better

5G is the next generation of radio access technologies, but 4G is extremely reliable and capable of speeds suitable for most functions.

The other factor is network maturity - 5G rollout is in relative infancy compared with 4G - whilst 4G is now considered the basic coverage layer and available on virtually all network sites, NR is an additional layer and thus has a smaller footprint.

Network load balancing should encourage all user devices onto the most effective radio layer, in most cases this means NR for any 5G devices. There may be instances where this is not the case.