cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey EE, a Pixel owner here... Can you stop treating us like we're iSheep please?

Profile closed
Not applicable

I understand that in the age of AI removing as many options as possible and automating the rest works out well for businesses for the most part. But for us power users, not so much.

This is what cellular network settings look like in 'Pixel OS' on a normal carrier.

tL9NQdh

Here's the same screen on the same phone when connected to EE.

3CATaKy

Pop quiz: How many differences can you find? 🙃

I'm well aware that I'm not the first one bringing this up but after all these years I'd appreciate if EE provided us with an official response on the matter.

I don't really see why the options to disable GSM or VoLTE would have to be blocked but whatever. I'm sure there's a perfectly silly reason for that.

However, no one is going to talk me into believing that the absence of the option to disable 5G (aka NR) is a good thing.

nr4NgWt

If we lived in a perfect world where being connected to NR instead of 4G was a better option in every situation, then we wouldn't really be having this discussion. But in the real world, this is not the case most part of the time. Yes, 5G provides faster speeds and better latency but... But only with good reception. Under poor conditions, LTE actually provides a more stable connection and lower battery drain. EE's coverage being what it is - high frequency NR in urban areas that poorly penetrates buildings - we really need to be have the ability to disable it.

Power users are surely aware of the USSD code *#*#4636#*#* but that's hardly a quality fix. Partly because it's obnoxious dialing that five times a day but mostly because it's a temporary fix. Wiped after reboot/airplane mode trigger/etc. By the way, the default setting is "NR/LTE/WCDMA/GSM" and the prefer 4G option is "GSM/WCDM/LTE (PRL)". I gleaned this from enabling power saver mode which among other things automatically disables 5G. 😋

6 REPLIES 6
bristolian
Legend
Legend

There's almost nothing to be gained by disabling 4G/forcing 2G these days, such is the nature of 4G service.

carguy143
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Mobile networks don't want their users forcing their devices on the specific networks as it takes away their ability to have devices automatically load balance across the network. Plus, from a support point of view, the less settings a user can change, the better. 

My EE provided S22 Ultra was the same, but also had EE and Weare8 apps preinstalled as preferred apps. They couldn't be removed, only disabled.. 

My Samsung UK supplied S23 Ultra has all network settings enabled and doesn't have the aforementioned apps pre-installed.

If you can find a good finance deal elsewhere, or buy the device SIM free outright, you have more control of your phone

Profile closed
Not applicable

My Pixel is 'SIM free'. This is forced on all EE network users. And aided by Google's lenience to give operators the ability to restrict these options. 

354-
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Profile closed - Which carrier is that in the first screenshot?

Steves1968
Explorer

Agreed. It's pretty bad imo. Got unlimited data on my Pixel 8 only to find what you have found after getting the device so basically it almost nullifies unlimited data because of the enormous appetite on the battery power using 5g. The option to choose on that merit alone at this stage of the new network should still be available or else EE may face a technically difficult battle in justification of such an action causing battery life to degrade prematurely through forced implementation of conditional use.

354-
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

2G toggle seems to be "unclamped"; noticed this for a recent Android update

2g unclamped2g unclamped