cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Abroad data Issue

Username1239495
Investigator
Investigator

I am on a pay monthly contract that includes roam abroad. The data will turn on but it won’t actually work despite having bars. I called ee multiple times to make sure everything was sorted before coming abroad but it isn’t working. I then called ee from another persons phone to try and get it fixed and they incurred an extremely large charge. I have tried toggling airplane mode, turned my phone off and on multiple times, and any other advice on here. I have no way of contacting ee through livechat or anything so I’m rather stranded. Is there any advice anyone can give me? 

8 REPLIES 8
Northerner
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Hi @Username1239495 

If you have activated roaming then check your phone setting to check you have roaming activated.

Where are you and what device do you have.

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

Roaming is activated in my phone settings.

I have an iPhone 12 and am in Mexico. 

When I message 150 they reply saying that they are unable to determine which roaming product I currently have.

I have received the charge for the roaming abroad pass and when on the phone with customer service, they say it was activated.

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@Username1239495 : As you are on contract, did you activate roaming on your EE a/c before you left UK by texting ROAMING to 150? Having a roaming billing add-on doesn't of itself activate roaming on your a/c. Having roaming activated on your EE a/c, not just on your device, is crucial to using your contract SIM abroad.

Often just rebooting the phone is the simple remedy. Also try selecting a network manually rather than auto.

Otherwise you need to call CS to get your roaming activated. Try calling CS on the Freephone no. in my sig. on Skype over WiFi. It should be free.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I had called right before going abroad to activate it. Is there a way to activate it or check it is once abroad without calling, as the charges are so big? 

I tried selecting a network but still no luck. 

I’ve rebooted my phone a few times.

What is the "it" that you activated? From your OP it sounds like the Roam Abroad Pass. Having a roaming billing add-on doesn't of itself activate roaming on your a/c. 

I told you how to call CS using Skype & it should be free.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

You can easily prove whether roaming is activated, by testing your phone's local network connection. Are you able to make/receive calls or send/receive text messages?

The majority of the time, a local network connection being displayed, is good evidence. But if one coverage-reliant service isn't working, it's not always conclusive. Testing it, is. As already mentioned, a billing add-on does not automatically enable the roaming facility that unlocks access to foreign networks.

I have been receiving text messages from 150 and send responses, but I am unable to make calls.

I received a text from ee that detailed what is in my contract and it stated that my inclusive extra was the roam abroad pass.

But, a previous text from ee said that they were unable to determine which roaming product I currently have. 

bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

If you can send & receive texts, you have a network connection and are thus roaming.

An inability to make outbound calls would tend to suggest either a local network issue (possibly VoLTE-related), or a spend-cap problem.