cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

malicious sim swapping

Elvira77
Explorer

What measures EE takes to prevent malicious sim swapping when hackers pretend to be customers aiming to breach the 2FA mechanism?

I tried to ask the company directly, but there is no suitable category to ask in writing, only to call or send a letter. I find it strange that you cannot chat with or email a representative. I am a new customer to EE. 

5 REPLIES 5
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Elvira77  there is no email option that you can use as emails are too slow to deal with customer issues.   Your account should be password protected and you’ll be asked certain letters of your password when you call customer services you can also be asked a few other questions like how much was your last phone bill? What phone are you currently using? How many lines are your account to name a few.      Fail one question and the account is locked.   That’s when you will need to go to a store with in date photo ID.     I also requested that only numbers on my account can actually be used when calling customer services.   So if a different number is used customer services should also not deal with that caller.     

Not to mention that you should also receive a text if this was to happen. Thats when you call customer services ASAP as number ports take up to 24 hours to complete so you do have time to call.   Any text about a a potential number port. i.e. it will probably start with sorry to see you’re leaving”  should be a call to customer services ASAP. 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Can you expand on what you mean by malicious SIM-swapping?

In order to receive SMS sent to a mobile number, you need access to either the physical SIM, or the phone that has the eSIM within it.

Some requests such as attempts to request a replacement SIM, will trigger a text message to the existing line. That text message should - as already mentioned - trigger an immediate call to CS if the request is not genuine.

Elvira77
Explorer

That answered my question, thanks both. 

Just getting a bit agitated when I learn about all those novel scams and hacks that are taking place, so I wanted to know I was in safe hands. 

Just an additional one that stems from learning the detail: super secure passwords are complicated and I guess nobody remembers them all unless being somewhere far on the autism spectrum. If I cannot provide the details of my password, without having access to them at that moment, can I still get in touch with the customer services about individual matters? I could do it with my previous one, answering their other questions, but they ceased to provide mobile services, hence I found myself in your club. 

Cheers! 

@Elvira77   The chances are when you call customer services you’ll be doing this from a smart phone and there are many ways to have password saved on your device that are saved very securely this could even be via an app that requires a password to access it.   You don’t need to have it written down at home kept in a safe place.    

bristolian
Legend
Legend

CS need to verify the identify of a caller before discussing account-specific information. The password is the usual means, but other questions are available.