cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost SIM card urgent help

Camilla0
Investigator
Investigator

I worked in UK 6 years ago and my boss got me SIM card EE that I’m using in WhatsApp as my number since then. All my contacts are there and conversations over 6 years. I lost the card few years ago and kept using without SIM card, just a number. I ve got a new phone and needed to put my WhatsApp number there, which is the EE SIM card number, I couldn’t log in because they sent verification code to the sim nr which I lost, today I lost all WhatsApp and contact. I’m looking for any solution and help please 😭

7 REPLIES 7
bristolian
Legend
Legend

@Camilla0 wrote:

I lost the card few years ago and kept using without SIM card, just a number.

A mobile number is associated with a SIM - no SIM equals no number. If you were using an internet-based app, that's not using the mobile network.

Was this a PAYG SIM? In which case if you don't make a chargeable call or send a chargeable text in a 9month period, it will have been permanently disconnected.

It was SIM card on a contract, it’s not used and payed probably few years but as I mentioned to the sim number I’m using WhatsApp. How can I get the number back?, can I just buy a sims card with same number as I had?

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Camilla0 

If the account is no longer active the number would have been recycled and you would not be able to activate this again. You would need a new number and set up WhatsApp with the new number. 

Leanne.

@Camilla0 wrote:

It was SIM card on a contract, it’s not used and payed probably few years but as I mentioned to the sim number I’m using WhatsApp. How can I get the number back?, can I just buy a sims card with same number as I had?

Perhaps worth clarifying here.

If you're on a pay-monthly contract, your number remains active as long as you keep up your contractual monthly payments - and if you don't, the debt "collections" process kicks in and I'd like to think you'd soon know about it.

What do you mean by "payed probably few years" - have you made regular monthly payments or not? This matters - if you're on pay-monthly contract and have maintained your monthly payments, your number would not have been disconnected. If you're on PAYG (which is a top-up "pay as you use" method) then the 9month rule applies.

@Camilla0 wrote:

It was SIM card on a contract, it’s not used and payed probably few years

If it was a contract SIM & you are not still paying for it monthly then it was probably cancelled years ago & you lost it then.

Contract SIMs can only be active while you are paying monthly for them. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

It’s not paid for sure years, as I wasn’t the one who was paying the bills for the card, soo once I left the country then for sure my boss cancelled but all of this years I’m using still this number on WhatsApp. 
can I just simply buy a new sims card with exactly the same number? This is the question 🙏🏼

No! Just cuz you gave WhatsApp your no. as a contact once doesn't mean you were using that no.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)