cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to revert back to my old SIM?

Conrad3000
Investigator
Investigator

Hi all.

I recently received a new SIM because apparently the 3G network was switched off in June 2023 and the text I received said my number would be cancelled plus all credit.

I got that text about a week ago (in April 2024) saying this. Very bizarre considering it was nearly a year late.

So in a panic I rang them up and they sent me a new SIM.

BTW the old SIM was absolutely fine up until I got the replacement (today).

After speaking to EE, they said they can't make my old SIM work again due to technical reasons.

Now I've had that particular SIM for nearly 25 years, and I wasn't aware that it'd stop working altogether when my new SIM came.

Im sure EE can do it, but because they want their customers onto newer plans and networks, they're refusing to budge.

There's a 21 digit number printed on the back of the old SIM and I asked if that would be any help. They kinda flatly said it's impossible and they can't do anything.

Are there any other options left?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Conrad3000  if you’ve had that Sim for this length of time, then it’s worth getting a Sim that can at least support 4G/5G  the old sim can not support these and can not be reactivated.  It’s just not possible. 

Hi Chris.

That old SIM was just a back-up, purely for calls and texts (no data). And I think it was the data part that was affected by the switching off (of) the 3G network, not calls and texts.

What I'm confused about is that it was working perfectly fine up until yesterday (1st May 2024) when EE activated the new SIM (with the same number).

Also why would it be such a major 'upheaval' if their systems would just re-activate my old SIM again?

Surely it would just be a matter of pushing a few buttons? I mean it was quite easy to transfer everything on my new SIM without any issues.

I feel I've been fobbed off to be honest.

@Conrad3000 calls and texts would’ve gone by 3G also and with 3G being switched off these ones would have gone via 2G.     It’s not possible to activate an now deactivated sim 

@Conrad3000 wrote:

And I think it was the data part that was affected by the switching off (of) the 3G network, not calls and texts.

3G is a radio access technology which was capable of carrying voice & data traffic.

Non-4G phones always fell back to 2G when 3G was unavailable for whatever reason - that's now permanent. A non-4G phone will now be permanently using EE's 2G network, meaning a 4G phone  will give a much-better experience.

Hi Bristolian.

Forgive my ignorance, but why would 3G be turned off but not 2G?

An I mistaken in thinking why a newer technology would be gotten rid of but not the old one?

2G eventually by latest 2033. In meantime it's the lowest common denominator (LCD) of them 😉 catering for the older phones that will be useless after 2G has gone..

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Normally you'd be right - older techs get retired first. 3G was a very inefficient RAT (radio access technology) in how mobile data was handled, and has been superceded by 4G - it also had some shortcomings when presented with heavy traffic loads. 2G can easily provide a basic voice & text service for legacy devices, without the same issues.

Conrad3000
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks guys.

And since my old SIM was absolutely fine in making calls/texts, I feel a bit let-down in accepting a new SIM.

No blame on the advisor I spoke to. They were great but if they'd said your old SIM won't work anymore on 3G for data, but you'll still be able to text/call, then I very much doubt I would have opted for the replacement SIM.

And I think EE is insulting our intelligence when they say they can't re-activate the original SIM. We know they can but they choose not to.

I've had that particular SIM since 2000 and it carries a lot of sentimental value. I guess that's why I'm bitterly disappointed at the situation. It was purely used as a back-up on an old phone and it's served me pretty well for nearly 25 years.

Sadly I don't think I'll be topping up my remaining credit. I'll just use it until it's gone and that's it.

@Conrad3000 wrote:

And I think EE is insulting our intelligence when they say they can't re-activate the original SIM. We know they can

That may not be the case, depending on how the CRM handles a disconnected SIM. If the IMSI is not available for selection for reactivation, then it could mean extensive manual intervention to make it so.

Replacing the SIM is far simpler and quicker.

I'm not sure how there can be any sentimental attraction to an individual SIM!