cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't buy a mobile pack from US before travel

sipehava
Investigator
Investigator

I've been in the US for a while now (It's probably nearly 10 months) and while I was able to go online and add a £20 top-up to my EE phone number on the account, when I've tried to add a monthly pack I get an error message saying they're trying to repair the page!
This has been happening for the last few days and I travel on Thursday.
I wondered if it was because I was in the US but I went through a VPN and logged into my account and got the same result.

I had issues with cancelling the monthly automatic deduction when I came over (it billed me until the account it was tied to was empty - it has plenty in it now) and I wonder if that caused something to register on the account.

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

PAYG packs are not valid outside EU.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@sipehava wrote:

I've been in the US for a while now (It's probably nearly 10 months

Also beware of hibernation.

When did you last make a chargeable action? EE PAYG SIMs are deactivated after 6 months of non-chargeable use. You then have a further 3 months to call EE to reactivate it before it is lost completely.

You needed to make a chargeable action like making a chargeable call or text, topping up or buying a Pack or Add-on, not just using your mins, texts or data from your pack.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for the info but I do know that - I'm travelling back to the UK on Thursday and would like to be able to use the phone then.

sipehava
Investigator
Investigator

We overlapped - Clearly you are right... I must have been hibernated (I had no idea).

Is it an easy process to bet out of hibernation... or do I have to give up and get a new SIM card on arrival in London?

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

It depends on how badly you want to keep your no. Reactivating your current SIM, if it is still possible, should just require a phone call to CS. Try calling CS on the Freephone no. in my sig. on Skype over WiFi. It should be free.