cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using phone while in Egypt

mijotali23
Visitor

Hi all

Ive been looking to see how to use my phone whilst I am in Egypt as a EE monthly SIM only customer. Ive followed the FAQs and looked for roaming in Egypt which suggest it isn't part of my allowance and shows the costs outside of the allowance, but then it refers to the fact I can add on data to make using the internet cheaper while I am there. It mentioned 20MB for £10.. but when I clicked through to the find out more info, it just took me back to the EU roaming charge changes page and travel data pass, where Egypt doesn't feature as one of the countries. I texted travel to 150 anyway and it says it'd activated, but its no use if Egypt isn't one of the countries on the list and I am going in a few days not after March.

I did text Roaming also but got ' We've had a problem updating your account, Please try again and if its still doesn't work, call us on 150.' 

Please can anyone clarify what my options are.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Hi @mijotali23 

Firstly you need to be aware, enabling your phone for use abroad is treated as a separate issue to any billing or bundles you choose to apply. In other words, don't presume that by applying any roaming bundles, that your phone is automatically roaming enabled - it very often isn't.

In order to enable your phone for roaming, you need to login to your myEE online account or app, goto Usage Controls, and ensure "international roaming" & "call abroad and premium rate" are both enabled - if, for any reason, you can't complete this, you will need to call EE C/S on 150 and speak to an agent to do so.

As far as costs go, Egpyt is not in the EU and your allowances will not work there. You can check the costs for any country using the roaming costs tool which will also offer any applicable bundles & add-ons at the bottom of the page.

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

As it is not in EU, you cannot use your usual UK allowances there but will need to pay the charges or buy roaming add-ons as set out in https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/roaming-costs/countries/egypt .

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
swoodco
Visitor

This still makes no sense to me. No data roaming option is available for Egypt with no explanation.

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@swoodco : You should be offered a roaming data pass on landing, starting from £5.70 /day for 8MB.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)