Travelling

Jackds
Explorer

I am about to travel abroad and my contract runs out two months into my trip. Will I be able to switch to a sim only contract whilst I’m out there or will i need someone to activate my sim in the UK and send it over? Also how long does the roaming pass take to activate? 

3 REPLIES 3
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jackds  The roaming pass is automatically enabled once you purchase it.  Buy it the day before you go.   Your contract only reaches its minimum term whilst you’re away, it will continue on a 30 day rolling contract once you reach the minimum term.  Do not upgrade while you’re out of the UK or you could end up with no service.    When you upgrade there are account changes and these are linked to your SIM card but when on a roaming network the update process doesn’t always find your sim because of you being on a roaming network so you could end up with no signal.     Not to mention all add ons are removed when you upgrade so this could affect the roaming pass.  Ie it’ll probably be removed. 

Don’t forget to text ROAM to 150 to make sure roaming is enable on your account as purchasing add ons doesn’t enable roaming.  You can do this now. 

Thank you Chris. Just to query your last message, if I switch to sim only whilst abroad there is still the potential it could work or is that a definite no? Also is it not possible just to stop paying for the phone after the contract expires and just start paying for my usage? I only ask as I’d like to keep my number and stay with EE when I’m back but it’s sounding like I should just get a payg sim out there. 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Switching between a phone plan & SIM-only plan is just a price-plan change and should be perfectly safe to do anywhere in the world.

It's just an account change and should have no impact on your SIM whatsoever.