cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International calls barred - getting nowhere

rob-b2
Investigator
Investigator

Hi - hoping someone can help. Recently, I have been unable to make international calls (to France) from my handset, the message I get is "calls to this number are barred from your phone". This started a few weeks ago, previously I have always been able to call internationally and have done so very regularly. I have the reduced rate international bundle. Things I have tried:

1. Using the EE app to enable international calling (it is showing as disabled). This doesn't work, it fails with a message to text 150 (tried that, none of the options are relevant). 

2. Calling tech support, three times (and waiting > 40 mins each time to get through). They say there is nothing wrong, no reason why it shouldn't work etc, then tell me to wait a few hours and it will definitely work again (which it doesn't). 

3. Visited a store. Again couldn't diagnose, suggested I try raising my spend cap, buying a 250 min international bundle, resetting network settings on my phone (none of which worked). Referred back to tech support (see above) but the guy in store said I should give up and use FaceTime or WhatsApp (which isn't a solution and no use if the person I'm calling doesn't have data)!

4. Registering a complaint online. 24 hours later, no response. Tried calling again to follow up. After 20 mins waiting, I gave up. 

If I can't get this fixed today or tomorrow I'm going to have to change network, which seems ridiculous. I don't want to do this as I'm happy with EE's data speed / coverage, but I need to be able to call France, they don't seem to be able to make it work and I've already spent over 4 hours on this without any progress.

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Rob

8 REPLIES 8
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Login to your MyEE account online & go to Menu > Account Settings > Parental and Data Controls >Call Abroad and Premium Rate. It will show as ticked if calling abroad is activated. If not ticked, can you activate this setting?

If you can't enable the Call Abroad & Premium Rate setting of your online MyEE, you will need to call CS.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @rob-b2

Thanks for coming here. 

Do you have a spend cap on your account? 

Also, is this more than one number you have tried calling from the UK to France? 

Leanne 🙂

Hi Leanne - thanks for the response.

I have a spend cap of £50. I’m nowhere near it. Spend cap used to be just £20 and I could still roam and call abroad until a few weeks ago.

Roaming and international calling is shown as disabled in the app and on the website. When I try to activate, I get an error “sorry - we’re having problems. Text info to 150 to make your changes”. Then when I do that it doesn’t work either.

Many thanks

Rob

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks XraySpeX - sadly this doesn’t work, I can’t enable the options. I get an error saying “we’re having problems - please text 150” (and that doesn’t work either).

Something has changed in my account (without my involvement) as I always could roam and call internationally. I’ll try CS one more time.

Thanks again

rob 

So you'll need to call CS. That's what's stopping you making calls abroad.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Leanne_T

Please let us know how you get on when you call again @rob-b2

Leanne 🙂

WeHateEE
Visitor

I'm having the same issue, with International minutes added, 7 calls, resetting of my network settings (which by the way without warning also resets your wifi, so bye bye all my sotred WIFI passwords!!!) getting no where... 

spend cap removed, apparently everything is in place, thinking I'll just give up and move to vodafone who did this via an app slider from no to yes!!

Leanne_T

Hi @WeHateEE 

Are you in the UK calling international numbers? 

If so, can you call the numbers from other phones? 

Leanne.