Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSH to networked devices

mush3
Investigator
Investigator

Hi 

I just purchased a 5GEE router and plan.

Works great 🙂

I have 2 raspberry pi and i cant seem to connect them to the network. Even with an ethernet cable.

Well I can see an ip address in the "connected devices" but I cant ssh to them either.

Is there a setting on the router which is blocking this sort of network activity?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

many thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@mikeliuk thank you for your suggestions

I have it working now.

I'm am not sure but I think the previous wifi and lan settings were difficult to change when jumping from one network to another.

1. RaspberryPi /etc/netplan/[].conf (havent done it yet but should be same problem) 

2. LibreElec i connected via ethernet cable on talktalk network. Ran connmanctl and gave new wifi settings for 5GEE.

then removed ethernet cable from talktalk.

Now I can ssh 🙂

From here the rest is plain sailing

Thank you!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mush3
Investigator
Investigator

In addition.....

Even though I can see the device with an IP address on the dashboard, I can not PING it

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @mush3 ,

Do the Pi obtain an IP address by DHCP? You should be able to check this with the output of "ip a" or "ifconfig".

Can the Pi ping your router?

What is the default gateway set to when you inspect the output of "ip r" or "route"?

I recommend to use nmap to check if port 22 is open on the Pi, and use "ssh -v" to see what the blocker is. Assuming your Pi get an IP via DHCP, I would recommend to ping from a known-good server or laptop.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

i appreciate your response, thank you.

I need to get a keyboard for the the pi as i never log in directly always through ssh.

I will try and find a keyboard and let you know

🙂

i forgot to mention, i am migrating from talk talk. So, the pi's have been working fine, I have never had any problem ssh to them before

@mikeliuk thank you for your suggestions

I have it working now.

I'm am not sure but I think the previous wifi and lan settings were difficult to change when jumping from one network to another.

1. RaspberryPi /etc/netplan/[].conf (havent done it yet but should be same problem) 

2. LibreElec i connected via ethernet cable on talktalk network. Ran connmanctl and gave new wifi settings for 5GEE.

then removed ethernet cable from talktalk.

Now I can ssh 🙂

From here the rest is plain sailing

Thank you!