Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIP 3G Booster box 2015 – 2022

stephen5000
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

RIP 3G Booster box 2015 – 2022

This box was literally a lifesaver for many, offering a stable 5 bar signal bubble in their home which prior to installation, often offered a zero bar signal. It was totally reliable, and a wonderful technical solution to a problem that seemed insolvable.

Sadly, for no proper reason, it was withdrawn, leaving many users vulnerable to having their primary connection with the world terminated at a few short weeks notice.

The only solution being  ‘WiFi calling’ which is still hit & miss with many current handsets, and not even listed on the spec of numerous phones, even on EE’s own web site, making the purchase of a replacement device even more traumatic for those with no interest at all in tech, but just want a ‘phone’.

Farewell 3G booster box – you’ll be missed by many...

signal box EE RIP.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@stephen5000  no proper reason?  3G is being switched off. 

stephen5000
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@Chris_B wrote:

@stephen5000  no proper reason?  3G is being switched off. 

EE have a turnover in excess of £7000 Million, it's parent company BT has a turnover of over £20,000 Million. As you correctly state, they are simply turning it off. It's a proven technology that works, all that is required is to put a maintenance program in place to keep it on...

@stephen5000  If only it was that simple.  I’m sure you didn’t say anything when analog got switched off in the early 90s. Technology has to progress and with that sacrifices are made.  What happens when Device manufacturers stop making devices that are 3G compatible because 3G is being switched off not just in the UK but world wide. 

stephen5000
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@Chris_B wrote:

@stephen5000  If only it was that simple.  I’m sure you didn’t say anything when analog got switched off in the early 90s. Technology has to progress and with that sacrifices are made.  What happens when Device manufacturers stop making devices that are 3G compatible because 3G is being switched off not just in the UK but world wide. 

When digital replaced analogue, the tech was actually a vast improvement. Just in the same way that when CDs were launched in the early 90s, it saw the demise of the LP. However when Sony tried to launch the MiniDisc in the mid 90s, it flopped as there was no significant improvement over the CD.

3G was a proven technology that simply worked well. It's all emperors new clothes, just as new phones push themselves by having billions more pixels than the predecessor - no one cares, they just want a device that can hold a call reliably without the normal call ending, 'hello? hello??'

Calling these booster boxes is also incorrect.

They are 3G picocells, operating on a radio frequency that is being re-farmed to newer services.

The core network elements that support 3G will be decommissioned - maintenance doesn't come into it.

Ultimately, 3G has issues that 2G & 4G don't - hence the industry wide switch-off.

Katie198678
Visitor

Yes.  Living in the middle of the countryside, over 70 years old, living alone, the booster was very helpful as I felt more secure knowing it was there if needed and could call from inside the house.  If I was in my 20/30's it wouldn't be a pain but for some of us it was helpful. Not for emergency as you can dial 999 but if just need a bit of help, reduced anxiety levels because of what if!

stephen5000
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi Katie, I so appreciate what you are going through. I had no option other than to buy a replacement handset which can cope with 'WiFi' calling. My phone just connects to the internet, and using some type of witchcraft, then allows it to make calls. It is not 100% reliable, calls sometimes drop (despite a 5 bar connection), and some received calls just result in me getting a voicemail rather than bothering to 'ring' my phone, but better than nothing. I hope you can get sorted...

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Katie198678,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

That's great advice from @stephen5000. EE signal boxes have been replaced by the WiFi Calling service that routes your calls via your home broadband connection, just like signal boxes did.

You can find out more in How do I use WiFi calling?

Hope this helps.

James