cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 5 and 5g in ee

T52
Investigator
Investigator

Some providers such as smarty limit the phones which can use 5g. Could this be due to some limitations of part of the devices? On my pixel 5, the speeds on my unlimited essentials are with 5g showing comparable to 4g when it was novelty.i.e. Between 1mbps ofr less to 15 but not reliable enough for Ms teams with video and screen sharing. 

5 REPLIES 5
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @T52

Welcome to the community. 

The speeds which you receive using 5G are these the same in any location you visit which has 5G in the area?

Katie

Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@T52   Your not restricted because of the device type you use. You can be restricted because of distance to the mast the number of users connected to that mast and what ever is between you and that mast and my favourite of all the weather. 

Hi Katie 

Thank you. Yes, I'm that the highest the lowest dl, i. e. 24 Mbps and 0.01 outliers are recoded at my home, and the majority are between 4 and 8, so they are the lower part of 4g, but what worries is that there are blackouts. 

Overall, much worse than those I had on a 4g phone for some two months in April and May 2022, but this same 4g phone as I inserted the SIM card now showed the majority around 1 Mbps. Such stats are tricky when in small numbers but the experience is bad.

Could it be that the no frills plan the agent or system (sounds Matrix) put me instead of the agreed unlimited essentials could be the reason? 

This is going to be put right after a month's cycle, so I can not tell now. 

Okay, good to know. So I won't try buying a newer phone. 

T52
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for replies so far.

The mast is half a mile away. 

Anyone know if there are possible technical reasons why smarty restrict 5g to pixels 6 up although models 3 through 5 are 5g as well?