cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was just interested what would happen to 3g masts after 3g shutdown?

George00
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

I had just wondered what was going to happen to the 3G cell towers after the 3G shutdown happened?

I can't imagine anyone taking them down straight away but they can't really stay there forever can they? Would they just be taken down over a period of a few years?

Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

There's no such thing as a 3G mast - EE have network sites which carry multiple radio technologies from 2G through to 5G.

There's been no new 3G deployment for several years now, but the 3G kit on existing sites will be decommissioned and the other technologies (2G, 4G, 5G or a combination) will continue as they are now.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

There's no such thing as a 3G mast - EE have network sites which carry multiple radio technologies from 2G through to 5G.

There's been no new 3G deployment for several years now, but the 3G kit on existing sites will be decommissioned and the other technologies (2G, 4G, 5G or a combination) will continue as they are now.

So the 3G equipment will be moved to 5G? Is it that simple or do they need to do anything else? 

Or are they simply going to get switched off and discontinued? 

Chris_B
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@George00   the 3G system will be removed.   The masts also have 2G 4G and 5G on them. Masts will not be removed because of the 3G switch off. 

bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

The radio equipment itself is technology-specific, but the radio spectrum it operates on is being re-farmed.

So the 3G modules on each site will be decomissioned and eventually removed. The radio spectrum used by 3G - 2100Mz - is already being used for 4G & 5G services.

No radio site will be decomissioned as a result of the 3G switchoff - the stuctures themselves have never been technology-specific. Orange went through a stage of only installing 3G on new sites quite some years ago, but those all had 2G installed afterwards, and have had later technologies installed subequently.