cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about 3G switch off

TrekVal
Investigator
Investigator

I have an old Doro "dumb" mobile, I've had it for at least 10 years but can't remember the model number. It does everything I want to do: send and receive texts, make and receive phone calls, take occasional photos, listen to FM Radio. It is definitely 3G. It is (or was) my understanding that after 3G switch off it will still work for the funtions I've outlined, though this will be via 2G. Is that correct? Someone from EE has said I'll need to upgrade it by putting in a 4G SIM but is that actually going to work? What would be the point if the phone itself can't access the internet (and I don't want it to anyway).  It's currently a PAYG phone but I wouldn't expect that to make any difference. I'm seeing conflicting advice and opinions on the internet about the 3G switch off which is why I'm posting here. If eventually I have to replace it with a newer 4G capable Doro I don't mind - I just don't have much use for a Smart phone. I'm not IT phobic but only access the internet at home on a PC! Many thanks in advance.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

If you just want to make Calls and Text's (SMS) and not bother with Internet Data then you don't need to do or change anything, your Phone and Sim Card will just carry on working on 2G Only after the 3G has been switched off.

You will need to address this whole issue again when it comes to the 2G Switch Off but that not for quiet a while yet.

By the way you can access the Internet on 2G, its just painfully slow compared to modern 4G/5G Technology.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

If you just want to make Calls and Text's (SMS) and not bother with Internet Data then you don't need to do or change anything, your Phone and Sim Card will just carry on working on 2G Only after the 3G has been switched off.

You will need to address this whole issue again when it comes to the 2G Switch Off but that not for quiet a while yet.

By the way you can access the Internet on 2G, its just painfully slow compared to modern 4G/5G Technology.

Thanks for this, it's put my mind at rest - for now at any rate. I'll worry about the 2G switch off later then!

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Doesn't FM Radio use data or does it incorporate a radio tuner?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

It accesses FM Radio via a menu option, so I think the phone has some sort of built in receiver and I just have to plug in some headphones. I don't think this would be data use, but please correct me if I'm wrong. (Your previous advice about how to sort out another PAYG which had gone into hibernation proved very useful!)

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Phones that had FM radios had an in-built tuner and used the headphone wires as an antenna.

It's only recent phones with radio apps that use streaming methods.

Thanks for this, you've confirmed what I thought was the case, very helpful!