5G coverage reduced

CaptCancel
Explorer

For over TWO years I have had 5G in my home PO94AZ.

No problems with Internet, video calls, business meetings etc

3 days ago - only 4G. Walked nearer to the Transmitter (Hill by ASDA) still only 4G. No reports of errors or failures in the area. Checked the coverage map and the 5G coverage area has been REDUCED to no longer include my area.

I'm wondering if.... EE is deliberately reducing 5G coverage in residential areas so that it can sell Home Broadband instead? Any thoughts on this theory?

2 REPLIES 2
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @CaptCancel,

I'm sorry to hear there has been a change to the service in your area.

There are many reasons why available coverage can change over time. I can assure you that a deliberate reduction in coverage to favour other products isn't one of them.

Looking at the network technologies in your area, I think there is a bug with the text displaying on the coverage checker. The pale yellow indicates outdoor 5G coverage and our internal systems confirm this.

I'd recommend selecting the 'check status' option and logging a problem.

Thanks 🙂

James

bristolian
Legend
Legend

There is ongoing optimisation of the mobile network, and the coverage in cell-edge locations can sometimes vary as a result. Equally the perceived coverage can sometimes vary when additional low or high-band carriers are added.

Out of interest, are you having any problems using your phone as a result of "only" having 4G coverage?