cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help - Mobile phone showing as sos only

Alison728
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I’m currently in Australia and had been using my U.K. mobile phone with a roaming add on without any problems. A few days ago it stopped working and my phone has said “sos only” ever since. I’ve tried the obvious turning my data and phone off and on again but it hasn’t helped. I can’t call EE because I have no access to the network and I can’t log in to my EE account because it sends a verification code via text which I can’t receive without network. I can use WiFi only. 
Can anybody make any suggestions please? I’m a female alone with a 3 month old baby and it’s quite unsafe when I’m away from WiFi and no connection. 

16 REPLIES 16
Chris_B
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@Alison728   Sounds like the network your connection is with is having issues. If it was working ok and you’ve not changed anything there is no reason it’ll not work now unless there was a local network issue. 

MARTINJOHNHICKE
Investigator
Investigator

Hi Alison,

please be aware that calls over wifi are charged at the full international rate when roaming.  If you have been doing so you may have incurred sufficient charges to reach your cap on spending. At that point your service would be blocked to prevent any further expense 

MARTINJOHNHICKE
Investigator
Investigator

8E074C98-6D0B-4CE2-A8B7-11E24A743066.jpeg

MARTINJOHNHICKE
Investigator
Investigator

Alison, turn off calling over wifi on your phone settings to avoid the charges

MARTINJOHNHICKE
Investigator
Investigator

This information is buried away in the web page linked to the text message sent by Ed when you set up the roaming add on.  Searching on the general website for it will not show anything. I think this is a bit misleading and could be construed as underhand to generate revenue

Thanks Chris. At first I thought there was an issue with the network somewhere but I haven’t had any connection for days now. 

Thanks Martin, that’s good to know. But WiFi calling isn’t working anyway. I paid for the roaming add on to use my normal U.K. plan whilst abroad so I shouldn’t have incurred any extra charges. 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Alison728

Thanks for coming here. 

Can you try manually connecting to a different network in your phone settings? 

Leanne.

Good idea Leanne. I’ve just tried connecting manually but unfortunately it didn’t work and it still says sos only.