cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G data speed cap

itretail
Contributor
Contributor

I have bought a 4GEE Mini to test the broadband data speed in my area, and using this

device i can get up to 40-45MB download speed with the device outside. I then put the

SIM into a TP-Link MR6400 Router and tested it at exactly the same location but i get less than half the download speed. Is the EE data speed capped if the Sim is in a non EE device?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@itretail your 4GEE MIni EE71 is Cat 7.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Is the EE data speed capped if the Sim is in a non EE device?

No.

More likely to do with 4G LTE Router spec Category and whether your using 2.4 or 5ghz WiFi on the Router.

From memory your TP Link Router is only LTE CAT4, can't remember if it does 5Ghz WiFi, but a modern, more up to date 4GEE Router will be a better and speedier spec.

Not sure what you mean by "only CAT 4" is there a better standard, i have searched

for the latest "best" 4G routers and they are all CAT 4.

Most decent high end 4G Routers are around Cat18, Cat 20 or more Cat4 is quiet an old spec by comparison.

Any idea what spec the 4GEE Home Router 3 is?

Your Router, no I don't but if you can post up the full model number, probably on the Router Label or box, I will try and check, as EE are a bit shy on their LTE Router specs

If I was to hazard a guess though, I would go with Cat7 or Cat12.

The LTE Categories are a bit confusing, but as a rough guide, things started to get interesting at Cat6, although most Devices went for Cat7 over 6, as that's when LTE Advanced kicked in, also known as LTE A, LTE+, LTE CA and 4G+, Meaning max DL Speed Spec of around 600mbs.

Cat12 onwards was the next leap, with additional CA and some more Multi Mimo trickery.

Followed by Cat16 (Gigabit) where 256QAM was introduced meaning with the above trickery and the wind blowing in the right direction Max DL Speeds of just a tad under 1000gbs.

Cat18, 20 and 22 took us over the 1Gbs DL potential a few years back but remember these are Technical Specs and the Device needs to be talking to a correctly configured Mast to get anywhere close to the theoretical Specs and Speeds.

The 4gEE Mini which i have is EE71-2BEBGB3

@itretail your 4GEE MIni EE71 is Cat 7.