cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am i getting marketing when i have opted out?

wiztwas
Investigator
Investigator

I have opted out of marketing, yet i got a text today trying to get me to remove my smart cap.

Dd they not comply with the law or have I missed a hidden check box?

@Everyone 

8 REPLIES 8
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@wiztwas    Can you post what the text actually said ?    You don’t get texts about spend cap removal unless you request to change or remove it.  

wiztwas
Investigator
Investigator

I made no change to the spend cap, it is as it has been ever since I joined months and months ago.

The message came form 150

It said

Hi! from EE.  As you have a Spend Cap, we've now barred some chargeable services. To increase it, you can use the EE app or reply with SPEND CAP. Thanks.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @wiztwas 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

To get your account looked into, please call us on 150 and the team will be happy to help 🙂

Leanne.

wiztwas
Investigator
Investigator

I think that would be a waste of my time.

Leanne_T

Hi @wiztwas 

The team would check your marketing preference and the spend cap message you have received to help you further 🙂

Leanne.

wiztwas
Investigator
Investigator

I think it would be a waste of my time.

I replied to the message with the word STOP

that told me to send STOP to Another number, which I did, that then sent a message back saying I had to send it to another number, I can see from my history that I had done this a couple of months ago.

I did repeat it with the other number they gave so they have been told 4 times on 2 separate numbers to STOP.

They are just ignoring my requests and spamming me.  I don't see how talking to some poor person in customer service is going to change the corporate structure that ignores the regulations.

If I was going to invest significant extra time on this then it would be with the ICO or whomever is in charge of spam texts and get them to take action.

I just cant be bothered.  EE don't respect my privacy.

I am shouting this form every rooftop on social media and here in the forum, because it is so very WRONG that they do this.

Leanne_T

Hi @wiztwas 

I've looked into this further and opting out of marketing preferences would stop any marketing messages being sent to you, but you will still receive necessary updates about your services.

This message that you received was letting you know about a change to a service that you have on your account. If you want to keep your spend cap as it is, you don't need to do anything.

If you would like to discuss this further I suggest speaking to our Mobile guides on 150, so they can look into  your account. 

Leanne.

There has been no change in service on my account since I opened it.

This was a MARKETING message not a service message, it was actively trying to increase your income by getting me to remove the Spend Cap.

There is no question about this. EE do not comply with good marketing practice, their opt out does not opt you out of marketing communications.

I would prefer it is EE did comply with regulations.

Talking to 150 about this is a waste of time.

If you want to help, tell me who the regulator is for this, is it the ICO or is it OFCOM, whom do I escalate this to?