cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Upgrades: All you need to know

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Time for a new phone? Here's how to check if you're due an upgrade with EE or would like to upgrade early.

How to check if you can upgrade?

• Text UP to 150. You'll then get a text message back informing you whether you're eligible and explaining what to do next.  
  • Call 150 from an EE phone and select upgrades. 

You can upgrade to a new device and plan if you've got fewer than 45 days to go until your contract renewal date. Alternatively, if you’re in the last 100 days of your contract, you can get the latest device with no early upgrade fee if your new plan is higher than your current plan.

If you are on an eligible Upgrade Anytime plan, you can upgrade from day 15 of your new plan and up to 45 days before it ends. Please see the  How Can I Upgrade Anytime? Help page for full terms and conditions.

If you have taken out a device credit agreement with us, you can upgrade your phone whenever you like from day 15 of a new plan, you just need to pay off the remaining balance of the device. 

However, if your account has an outstanding balance then you will not be eligible for an upgrade until the outstanding amount is settled. If you want to make a payment, please see our How do I pay my phone bill?, Help page.

Can I upgrade early?

Yes, you can upgrade early if you meet the following criteria:

• On an eligible pay monthly plan with EE
  • Six months or more into your contract with more than 45 days until your current plan ends.

Your early upgrade fee will depend on how long you’ve got left to run on your plan.

Can I upgrade from a SIM only plan to a pay monthly phone plan?

Yes, you can move to a pay monthly phone plan if you meet the following criteria:

• If you have a SIM Only plan and want a new phone and are a new EE customer, you can upgrade once you’ve been on a SIM only plan for six months.
  • If you’ve been on your plan for six months or more, you can upgrade from a SIM Only plan onto a phone plan at any time. 
  • If you have a 12-month SIM only plan, you can upgrade once you’ve been on your plan for six months. If you are on a 30-day SIM Only plan, you can upgrade at any time. 

Can I keep my existing phone?

You can keep your existing phone or trade in . Full details can be found in our How to 'Trade In' your old device with EE, Help page. 

However, if you are upgrading with Upgrade Anytime and would like to keep your old phone, you'll have to pay an extra charge depending on how long you've been on your current plan.

Can I cancel the upgrade?

You can decide to cancel your upgrade and return the device by contacting us within 14 days, unless you have traded in your old phone.  

The 14-day cancellation period does not apply to upgrades done in one of our retail stores.

Any questions tap reply below.

49 REPLIES 49
Username5025
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I’m trying to upgrade and use a 30% friends and family code but it doesn’t work. It works if I take a new line though. 

Leanne_T

Hi @Username5025

Thanks for coming here. 

Are you out of contract now? 

Is the plan already discounted? 

Leanne.

Mary121192
Explorer

Hi, if i get a 24m sim only plan (upgraded from a pay monthly) when i can i upgrade again to handset pay monthly. 

I think i will probably want to get a new phone around spring next year but want to go sim only for a bit firstm staying with ee

Christopher_G

Hi @Mary121192

Will it be a brand new SIM only plan, or are you upgrading to SIM only from an existing handset plan?

Chris

I have an existing ee contract atm. 

I want to upgrade to a sim only, the one i have seen is 24 months, but i will only want it 6-12 months. 

I will then upgrade to a new handset and pay monthly. 

All with EE

THANKS

Christopher_G

Thanks @Mary121192

As long as it isn't a brand new SIM only (not upgraded) you can upgrade at any point to a phone contract. On a brand new connection, you have to wait six months before upgrading.

Chris

Username5025
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Quick question which I’ve asked a few times but yet to get any reply. 

why do you have to wait six months?

Christopher_G

It's a rule that we have to build up history before changing to a phone contract, @Username5025.

Chris

Username5025
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Even though you can take out a new phone contract as a new customer? Odd. Way to go to upset customers EE. Thank you though.