cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing to SIM only near end of contract

PhilP1
Investigator
Investigator

Does anyone have any experience or understanding of the latests Ts and Cs around shifting to a SIM only towards the end of your contract date?

I've just been on a web chat with a very helpful advisor who said that I could do this from my Standard Upgrade date (a month or so before my contact ends) but then they said that they had applied an offer so that I could do this immediately.  We got into a discussion about the different SIM options and I queried the prices I was being quoted as they were more expensive than what I could see on the website.  At this point, she transferred me to someone who could help to apply those discounts (at this point I'm over the moon!) but I was then told by the second advisor that the offer that had been applied by the first advisor didn't exist and that I couldn't change to SIM only until my contract end date.  It was all a bit of a shambles really and I'm left wondering what has happened.....was the first advisor just completely wrong?  was the second advisor wrong or just unwilling to assist with applying a genuine offer that had been made?  Has there been a recent change in Ts and Cs that could potentially have caused this?

Any knowledge that anyone could impart here would be greatly appreciated as I'm more confused now then when I first contact them!

7 REPLIES 7
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You may do a standard upgrade FoC any time from 45 days before your min. term expires. Text UP to 150 to see when this is.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for the quick reply, and apologies for my lack of understanding, but does a standard upgrade include the option to switch to SIM only or is that just referring to upgrading your device?  And if it does include the option to go SIM only is that able to be applied immediately at that point?

Yes, you may switch to SIM-Only of any value as soon as your SIM can be delivered and/or updated with new plan.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks again!  So I can officially switch to a SIM only plan from the standard upgrade date on my contract (45 days before minimum term expiry).

Have you ever come across a situation where EE have been able to do this earlier, or was the advisor that I spoke to earlier completely over-reaching on that?

1. Yes.
  2. He may have been thinking of an early upgrade FoC within 100 days before your min. term expires when you can switch to a more expensive, more data plan.

Katy2021
Visitor

The only understanding have the people of the EE. In such case each of them does what it takes and none of them communicate with each other. If one mess up your problem then it's very complicated to have their contact or sort the problem. It's impossible to undo it. I spent 3 days on the phone talking to their customer service, I went to the local EE shop.  I thought I'm going to be clever and I requested a confirmation email after my long discussion on the phone and updating phonecall regarding the complaints I made, follow up phonecall to have info on the progress of the issue. Yes, the person called Eileen emailed me with a plan how to sort the problem but never got back or answered to my emails which she supposed to do. Sorting the problem became impossible. They even send me a text that the complaint is closed. So I'm in sort of Limbo now. They still charge me but I don't have either the phone or internet.  It's such an awful service. I will never chose the EE offers again.

[Mod edit: Removed employee's surname.]

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Katy2021,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

When did you last speak to Customer Care? Are the team aware your problem hasn't been resolved?

James