cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

>>> Warning My number was Ex-Directory it isnt anymore, Check yours now on BT <<

Timboo
Investigator
Investigator

My number has been ex-directory for many Years, Received the BT Phone book 20023/24 through the door. Had a quick look and lo and behold my, Full Name - Number - Address publicized for every scammer, cold caller and nut job to target. But it does not stop there, if you go to https://www.thephonebook.bt.com/person/ you will find its online as well. So you might want to check yours today asap.

What can you do in this instance,

Sister company etc are meant to state on your contract if it is ex-directory. This then means that it will not be submitted into BT's Central Database for residential numbers (which occurs annually). Emphasis, (If like me you are solely an EE customer) Only EE Has your information to submit. Therefore, the issues is not with BT but EE. If you try to contact EE they will deny it "oh, no you are still ex-directory", and then give you the run around to contact BT. Unless your are a customer with BT can not do anything. No BT Contract, no access to your information or Services or removal from central database. EE will ask you to go online and make a Data Request, which is an Automated Data Controller.

Who's Liable...

https://www.icaew.com/-/media/corporate/files/technical/legal-and-regulatory/information-law-and-gui...

GDPR:  (Pertains to Information in Digital format)

EU Law/Act company's must have a assigned "Data Controller", who must respond within 72 Hours of being made aware of Data Breach. Failure to do so can incur a fine.

Article 4(12) of the GDPR defines a personal data breach as “a breach of security leading to the
accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorised disclosure of, or access to,
personal data transmitted, stored or otherwise processed.”
It may also be useful to consider a personal data breach as falling into one or more of the following
categories:

Confidentiality breach – where there is an unauthorised or accidental disclosure of, or
access to, personal data.

Example: An email with the personal data of a client’s employees, including name,
address, salary, national insurance number and date of birth, was inadvertently sent to
the wrong client.

Data Protection Act 2018 Includes GDPR, Additionally, Covers information on Paper => to Digital Data.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have been affected please post below, as it would be very interesting to see how great of a Data Breach this is. As a gesture of good will, I am publicly making this known to unsuspecting customers/victims. In the hope, at this early juncture that EE begin to start having a more proactive involvement in this situation.

BTW enforcing the only channel of communication under "complaints" is highly derogative and offensive for customers (like a habitual complainer) rather then based on a simple "enquiry".

9 REPLIES 9
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

When did you join EE for Home Phone? At that time you needed to tell EE you wanted to be ex-directory.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Timboo
Investigator
Investigator

My number has been ex-directory for many Years, solely an EE customer.

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Something not right here. I tried the link in the first post, but all I could see was a Request a call back if you filled in your own name and number!

Haven't seen an actual phone book round my way in years. thought you had to order them these days.

OIC! Then if you were ex-directory in last year's BT Phone Book, I would agree there has been some sort of data breach.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Timboo
Investigator
Investigator

Above the "Request a call back". There are two search boxes "name" and "area town postcode".

Yeah! It is totally unclear 😞 !

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Timboo 

I have sent you a private message for some further details, please could you take a look and get back to me please? 

Leanne.

Timboo
Investigator
Investigator

I replied to pm and your colleague, but no response.

@Timboo   This will be picked up tomorrow as the EE staff on here are not here 24 hours a day.