cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Order 900mbps Despite Showing Available on BT Wholesale

BenHughesDS
Investigator
Investigator

I am at my wits end.  I have been trying to upgrade to Fibre 900 for months now, specifically with EE who are now part of BT but every time the order goes through fine, about a week later from hearing nothing I call them and am told it was cancelled.  BT/EE claim that, though EVERY other provider on the internet says I can get 900mbps, I can only get 300mbps.  Bear in mind here that the BT wholesale checker says I can get 1000mbps, and if I use my neighbours house number on the BT site (they are literally connected to me by a wall) they can get 900mbps from BT.

I have had several conversations with Openreach who say that they can't see the problem, and even had an engineer round to confirm that all the hardware in place is capable (it is).  BT/EE, on the other hand, blame Openreach, saying that the order is rejected with the error "The contact details supplied with your order do not match our database, Error 2044: Maximum supported speeds by line are Downstreamspeeds: 330.000 Mb/s."  This is blamed on Openreach's database, even though Openreach themselves claim no problems should occur and have even given me granular detail on how many connections the cabinet can hold and how many are in use.

I honestly don't know what to do here - BT/EE blame Openreach, Openreach blame BT.  I tried ordering 900mbps around March last year with another supplier, and that order was also cancelled inexplicably, which I can only surmise means that Openreach are to blame but are not doing anything to change it.  Worst thing is I can't make a complaint with them directly as there is no avenue to do that.

Has this ever happened to anyone before, and if so how did you overcome it?  I have spend many hours on the phone to BT/EE, nobody ever gets back to me after claiming to do so, so I am now grasping at straws as I fear I will be forever locked to 300mbps as neither entity believes they are at fault, ergo nothing will change.

Many thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

What BB package have you now? With which ISP?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I am currently with BT, however the orders I tried to place were with EE (and in March this year with TalkTalk).  I posted this in the BT community forums originally but they told me to post here..

I currently have 300mbps and have had this for quite a few years.  Like I say everyone on the internet (incl. EE) say I can get 900mbps, to which Openreach agree.

Is that 300 Meg on G.Fast or Full Fibre?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

It's FTTP, which if I understand correctly is full fibre, no?  I have the cabling routed through the front door and an Openreach ONT modem (I think ONT is the correct acronym?).

Yes, that's Full Fibre. There are many on this forum who have successfully moved Full Fibre from BT to EE & have often been encouraged or even forced by BT to do so. 

Are you on a business contract? BT's aim is for EE to be its consumer arm while BT retains the business side.

I have tried 5 times now to move to EE but every time I place an order I hear nothing for a week, so I chase and get told the order was cancelled.  Problem is EE don't offer 300mbps (which is my "artificial" limit), only 500 or 900 or down to 150, so I had to renew with BT in order to keep 300mbps.

I am a private customer, and have been informed of the move to get non-business customers onto EE rather than BT.  Like I say, despite BT wholesale checker saying I can get full 900mbps as well as Openreach and EE, every time I place an order it is cancelled and the error "The contact details supplied with your order do not match our database, Error 2044: Maximum supported speeds by line are Downstreamspeeds: 330.000 Mb/s" appears.  I am literally snookered.

I have been reading about ORDI being needed (though threads are few and far between).  Does this look to you like it could be the answer?  My neighbours house that is literally attached to mine, has the same postcode and is connected to the same cabinet can get 900mbps.  Something is very wrong and I am running out of ways to try and resolve 😞

EE do FF300 Essentials for £34 pm.

OK I might have missed that, but the main point here is that I do not want 300, I want 900, which by all accounts I should be able to get.  I have been told by Openreach themselves on multiple occasions that I should have zero problem ordering 900, and if the house attached to mine connected to the same cabinet can get it I refuse to believe I cannot.

Thatguy99
Visitor

I'm in the exact same boat, apart from any ISP offering the 900/500mbps all use open reach/BTs initial line I know my FFTP is capable of the speeds advertised as others have it around my area, speaking to any of the team and they won't acknowledge the issue. It's so annoying.