Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Upgrade Program - eSIM transfer/install

MrGimper
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi

So currently have EE eSIM on my 14 Pro Max (on Apple Upgrade Program), and have pre-ordered the 15 Pro Max for collection on 22nd and again on Apple Upgrade.

What is the correct procedure for transferring my line over to the new phone? Especially taking into account that I have to wipe and give them my original phone before I take possession of the new phone. I've read that a "SIM swap" requires access to the old phone, which I obviously won't have.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Gareth43
Problem solver
Problem solver

I’m surprised you have to give your old phone to them before you get new one. Usually if you have both phones with you a esim transfer swap is usually straight forward enough. I’m guessing if you can’t do esim transfer then you will have to order new esim or go in store with new phone and get it there . EDIT I’ve just read the Apple upgrade terms and you keep your old phone untill you have received the new phone and then you send back the old one. Or at least that’s what I read about the Apple upgrade program

G Alston
iPhone 15 Pro Max
MrGimper
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hiya

No, in the UK you have to have backed up and wiped your phone in front of them and handed it over before they will give you the new phone.

EDIT: Looks like you looked at the terms for the US. Unfortunately in the UK you have to attend the store for the credit agreement to be set up

MrGimper
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I've just had someone on chat tell me I must use a physical SIM on my new phone to transfer my number. Good to see the advice on this is a clueless as it was when eSIM was launched.

marc00s
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

IMG_1714.png

When it wants to work & I say that because in the middle of upgrading the ee app has a mind of its own, kind of like the rest of the systems. You can do it as follows.

log into the my ee app > plans & subscriptions > mobile > settings > replace sim / eSIM , you should then have the option to download it to the current device

you can I believe also do this as part of setting up a new iPhone by holding the two together and selecting the option to transfer the eSIM when prompted but if you don’t have both option 1 just requires you to have your new phone and access to the ee app.

I have bought an iPhone 15 Pro direct from Apple. I hope to get it on 22nd September.

I am told that the "Quick Start" procedure is to hold the two phones fairly close together and follow the instructions carefully. I hope it also includes eSIM transfer.  It seems to assume you use iCloud for all data functions, including Keychain, Photos, Safari Bookmarks etc. Music, Books, Podcasts and other data may need a cable connection with your computer for selecting content to sync across as usual.

The old phone can then be erased and sent to Apple in the kit supplied by them, for the miserable trade-in.

There should be an up-to-date iCloud backup of the phone before you start and I I would also use the same cable connection to make a phone backup on the computer before starting any of this.

This'll be fun?

uvarvu
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

When I moved from 13 Pro to 14 Pro quickstart failed with an error message.    The app wasn’t much use either but the website worked.   Hopefully the process will work better this time round.

They say if it fails, to restart both devices.

Making a computer backup using a cable connection, will also sync the devices and wipe old logs and diagnostics, which will free up space on the new phone.

uvarvu
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Worked perfectly this time round!