cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone has mysterious Virgin SIM toolkit app - Where Did it Come From?

billynibbles
Explorer

My phone is a brand-new Redmi Note 11 Pro Plus 5G which I've had for about a month. Its twin SIM slots have only ever had the main EE sim and a Giffgaff SIM inserted.

For some strange reason it has recently sprouted an app labelled 'Virgin' which turns out to be a SIM toolkit which when opened displays "SIM Toolkit not ready or unsupported". Even more annoying is that it appears to be a system app and cannot be uninstalled. Any ideas how it got there? I have never been a Virgin Mobile customer. More to the point, how can I get rid of it? When I check the App Info, it doesn't potentially seem to do anything that can't be done in the phone's main SIM i.e. to turn data restriction on/off

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@billynibbles   You’ve not said where you’ve got this device from because EE didn’t sell this device so you need to take this up with where you got the device from.  

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @billynibbles

Welcome to the community.

Where did you get the device from? Have you tried restoring the device to factory settings? If you're giving it a try, please make sure you back up all of your information first.

Chris

It was bought from the official Xiaomi UK website. Curiously,  if I remove the EE SIM,  leaving only the Giffgaff SIM iit reverts to being called SIM toolkit (still doesn't work though) . When I add in the EE SIM,  it takes on the name Virgin (didn't they used to piggyback off EE?) . To be honest,  I just want rid of it but it appears to be unremovable as a system app. I'll persevere with a Xiaomi forum. 

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Let us know what information you get and whether you get it removed, @billynibbles.

It could help someone else in the same situation on future.

Chris