by
Investigator

Re: Orange Email closure 31st May 2017: Help and advice

I am looking at potential domain names and just out of curiosity I note that myaddressfreeserve.co.uk seems to be available which would be the same as I have now minus a dot before freeserve. Would EE (or indeed BT who I believe now own EE) object to the use of the freeserve name in this way please? 

by
Grand Master

No, it's isn't EE's domain & if it is on sale you are free to have it,

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Grand Master

@David_oldguy: What domain is your email addy on (the bit after your name)?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Investigator

Clear your cache on your browser, usually helps

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
by
Contributor

Hi TiffJ

Does the closure of Orange email also means loss of access to the calendar and contacts too.  As example I have items in calendar which currently sends me a SMS message to my EE phone on requested date, as a reminder - will this be lost also??

Kind Regards,

Keith

by
Grand Master

@kloughlin: Once Orange email closes on 31 May, everything goes. You can use nowt thereafter.

by
Visitor

I can't begin to describe the frustration and indeed anger, that I feel at the decision to close down my Freeserve email account. I have paid my dues and stuck with the company through all of the changes it has gone through over the years but is seems that brand loyalty only goes in one direction. The inconvenience caused has been beyond description. My email address is known to literally hundreds of correspondents world wide and the task of notifying them of an impending change of address is both tedious and time consuming. Add to that the efforts I've  had to make with the utilities, banking and other companies that I do business with - which has included the necessity to close and reopen some accounts - and it soon becomes obvious that this change is not as simple as you have stated. I have had enough. I will not be renewing any of my contracts, mobile, landine or broadband once the current ones run out. Don't bother to reply - there's nothing you can say that I'm interested in hearing. 

by
Grand Master

@Snertspop: You shouldn't need to close and reopen accounts just cuz of a change of email addy. What organisations are forcing you to do this? It would be useful knowledge for other users.

by
Investigator

As if I haven't got enough to do?! Although I have a couple of other email addresses, my Orange email is so easy to use....now have numerous folders full of important info. Seems I'll have to transfer all into my inbox, then send to new address......nightmare! Need folders.....does gmail offer this facility? Help! 

by
Grand Master

@Spinningplates: GMail lets you create things called Labels which look like folders.

Any decent email client on your PC would allow you to create a folder structure & selectively filter emails to them.

by
Investigator

Thanks.....daughter tells me so too but, having been used to the Orange format for so long  and now dealing with legalities and concerns re elderly parents as well as my own paperwork, am drowning in mail with little time to sort and save everything. Am lucky to have the support of family members to help me out...they told me to sort ages ago and change internet provider as unreliable....biting me on the bum now!

by
Explorer

I have been with this ISP since Freeserve days, way back in 1998, and to be honest the only reason I have stayed with them for so long was because I didn't want to loose my Freeserve address, something I have been debating for around 2 years      My reason for wanting to change  is due to the high pricing and low speed for downloading and uploading speed which would be faster with dial-up.

So yes it has been a rather monotonous task migrating all user accounts opened since 1998.  But I was the lucky ones as having been using both Gmail and Freeserve accounts equally over the last few years most of my contacts are also contactable on social media websites.

So was this the best decision for EE to pull the plug on their legacy email servers? only the next 18 months will tell as those like myself who are not on contract leaves them for other ISPs.   It is only then will it be known if the revenue lost due to departing customers exceeds the cost of email server upkeep and if it is, alas for EE it will be too late as customers went elsewhere.  

So thanks, EE you have made it much from June for me to change ISPs without having to worry about loosing my Freeserve address.   I can do the calculations based purely on speed and price  

by
Visitor

Many on here are angry with EE and I understand that (its pointless of course, but I know how they feel).

Some have said, "Hey, why complain, we've had free email for years and now its gone, get over it". Also true and understandable.

However what I feel mostly is sadness - you see I started using this service when it first started as Freeserve back in 1998.

That was my first access to the world of the Internet (a smaller not to mention safer place then than it is now) and despite all the changes from Wanadoo to Orange, to EE I have retained that original Freeserve email address. Seventeen years - and on the Internet where things so fast that is a very long time for one service to exist.

So yes, its a pain in the backside having to change my address in so many place, and yes I'll never remember all of them so who knows what old friend or acquaintance from years ago has only this old address but much more than that is the loss of the familiar, of something that has been with me for 17 years and my entire Internet life.

I mean, dammit, its almost become a tradition!

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @OldFreeserver,

Please let us know if you need any help with transferring information to your new email account.

We have a great post to help you with changing your details over A checklist for changing your email account.

Hope you get everything sorted Smiley Happy

by
Investigator

I have tried everything. I keep getting "Could not validate this combination of email address and password" - "Gmail couldn't identify pop server".

I've tried my phone number @ orange.net - my name@ orange.net and a combination of both and I've reset my password just in case that was the problem, but still get the same message.

I've been through so many help screens that I have a headache. Any help (that works) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

by
Brilliant Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello @Lyndie are you using your webmail password or POP password? Here is a link containing more information on orange.net POP passwords:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Email/Orange-Email-Closure-orange-net-POP3-IMAP4-Password-Tips/td-p/54...

Gmail import does not support IMAP4 only POP3 so you will need the POP3 orange.net settings. Smiley Happy

by
Investigator

Hate to break it to you Roger, but EE losing a few hundred customers is nothing compared to the £millions running outdated systems and services, which are used by people who most of which, from what i can tell, have zero products and services with Orange/EE....

by
Investigator

[ Edited ]

greyswood wrote:

I've just recieved an email about this today. It would seem that it has been around for some time, but you've only just bothered to tell me. I find this move totally unacceptable. The end of May is not 'some time away' if you haven't got time to deal with this. I certainly haven't, and how am I suppsoed to find all the places I've registered my email over the last 20 or so years that I've had this account. In the past it has quite happily moved between providers. i suggest you find another provider who is actually interested in providing a service and pass us all on to them.

I don't have any other accounts with Orange/EE, I've had to specially join this community to post my disgust since I can't find an email address to complain to. I would certainly be rethinking any accounts if I did.

o2 got rid of their personal email service in 2004 ( I was one of them). Vodaphone and Three never provided one as far as i remember !

However the fact that you are complaing about losing a free service which you are not even indirectly supporting made me laugh. 

by
Brilliant Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tigerfox I still have an Orange pay monthly mobile contract and Orange still has a customer base in the millions. Not to mention all the active BB users.

Vodafone did/do offer an email service to mobile customers yes I had one myself @vodafonemail.co.uk. Smiley Happy

by
Investigator

AR70 wrote:

Did anyone notice that the post below from EE states that following a decline in the number of users, they have taken the 'tough' decision to close orange emails. The email I received the other day from them to inform me of the closure stated that they stopped issuing orange email addresses in 2012. Is it any wonder there was a decline in users?? The post on here from EE cites it as a tough decision but they have caused the reduction in users by not issuing any email addresses since 2012. 

Erm... not issuing addresses wouldnt result in a decline, it would only result in no increase of users. The decline is probably the fact that its cumbersome to use, so people have actually stopped using the service, either closing the accounts or abandoning it all together (im assuming EE can see how many "active" accounts they have?)

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.