by veras Investigator
Investigator

unlocking my phone

Hello! Can someone help me, please, with info? I have an issue with my phone, it requires suddenly a network lock control key, and I have seen that I have to buy such a code, from different sites. Why do I have to pay for something like that? My phone was never locked to a certain telecommunication company, I have bought it from a shop, new, and I used a prepay sim, with no special options. its a samsung GT-E1200I. The code is more expensive than the phone :), but i need to use it, simple as it is. Thank you!

14 REPLIES 14
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: unlocking my phone

What network is it locked to?

What sim was working in the device before it apparently locked?

What sim are you trying to use now?

So many questions that need to be answered first before anyone can try and help you.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @veras.

Welcome to the EE community. 🙂

In addition to @BrendonH's questions, which shop did you buy it from? Was it an EE store?

Look forward to hearing from you so that we can help you further.

Chris 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If your phone is asking for an unlock code it must be locked to some network.

If it is locked to EE, then EE will unlock it for £9.

Which shop did you buy it from? If it were CPW say, then it is likely that it was not unlocked but SIM-free which means it locked to the 1st SIM you put in it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by veras Investigator
Investigator

Hi, Chris! And thank you! I bought it from a Vodafone shop in Bucharest, but without a contract, I just bought it, used it in Australia with Vodafone prepay sim and then wanted to use with Lebara and Telekom, all prepay, but it requires that code. I am upset with this situation because I don't understand what I did wrong. 🙂

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Then this has nothing to do with EE

The phone was purchased from Vodafone Romania

It would have ALWAYS been locked to Vodafone Romania but obviously their sims would work in it.

You need to speak to Vodafone Romania to get this unlocked and they can do it but there MAY be a charge for this.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by

Thanks for confirming, @veras.

As the phone was purchased directly from Vodafone Romania, even though SIM free, will be locked to Vodafone Romania.

You would need to contact them to unlock the device.

If you're looking to use an EE SIM, we have a fabulous range of pay as you go phones.

Chris 🙂

by veras Investigator
Investigator

Hi, thank you, BrendonH, I don't remember when it got locked, from around end of June, and since then I use another device, it requires that code when I tried to use a Lebara sim, a Telekom sim and a Vodafone sim. So it's same for all three sims..

by veras Investigator
Investigator

Thank you, Chris!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It was locked to Voda Romania from the beginning. Just that you were using a Voda Romania SIM in it till June.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by veras Investigator
Investigator

Thank you! I went yesterday to a Vodafone shop and to a service, they tried several Vodafone sims and it didnt work, and they said it must be a problem with the soft..like the phone its finished. They reccomended to give up on this phone and buy a new one 

by

Thank you for sharing the outcome @veras

We hope to see you back in community again soon.

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I wouldn't write the phone off yet! It'll be Vodafone Romania that needs to unlock it, not Vodafone UK.

by veras Investigator
Investigator

Thank you, every answer is much appreciated. With a vodafone sim from the shop, the phone requires a master lock code which I think it contains  20 digits. The guys from the vodafone shop told me they can't help me unless I choose to let it to try to be fixed in service, but will be more expensive than the phone. 😞  (and it will take around 2 weeks, though in few days I go back to UK)

by
EE Employee

Hi @veras

You may be able to try the master reset code, this will wipe everything off the device.

Without a  SIM card type the following into the phone *2767*3855#

Please let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.